No announcement yet.
X

Is the Kat Cold Blooded? Choke Needed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Kat Cold Blooded? Choke Needed?

Didn't really find an answer using the search, so let's get the wisdom and experience from the membership. My FJR is fuel injected, so choke at start up is automatic and not controllable or selectable. The Ninja has but 2 cylinders, but unless it's in the lower 40 degree range or colder, will fire right up and run at 1000 RPM without setting the choke lever.

What about a stock 2000 Kat? I'm picking it up tomorrow and will have to clean carbs and tank, replace battery from the 2 year "hibernation" it has been in. If it isn't freezing cold, will it normally fire up without needing to engage the choke?

Thanks
    2000 Katana 600, Hooligan Bike
    2005 FJR 1300 ABS
    2001 Ninja 500 Hooligan Bike

When all ya got is hammers, everything looks like a nail - Unknown

If the engine's cold yes you will need the choke.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I have to choke mine every time it misbehaves or it starts acting up.

If it's below 45-50*F I often have to choke it briefly to get her going.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Every time I start my Kat when it is below 80 degrees, I have to engage the choke and let it warm up for a couple minutes. If I don't, the engine will hesitate.

Fuel injection automatically adjusts the air/fuel mixture to enable the engine to run properly at cooler temperatures, and when the engine is cold.

Comment

If you have a carburetor equipped motorcycle that requires no fuel enrichment at 40 to 50 degrees ambient temperature (assuming the engine is also cool or cold) then that motorcycle is jetted and / or adjusted WAY TOO RICH.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
            If you have a carburetor equipped motorcycle that requires no fuel enrichment at 40 to 50 degrees ambient temperature (assuming the engine is also cool or cold) then that motorcycle is jetted and / or adjusted WAY TOO RICH.
            I'll have to disagree with that based on the actual condition of my pulled plugs. A read of the plugs I replaced on this Ninja 500 showed it burning just fine, nothing but a light tan to show for 8000 miles. That's not to say it shouldn't be chocked when the engine is cold, I'm just saying that I really don't need to and have no running, coughing or hesitation issues. It loses about 250 RPM of idle speed at start up (1000 vs. 1250), but it'll run and respond to throttle inputs fine.

The little 250 Ninja I had for a few months on the other hand was as cold as a hibernating Polar Bear and needed choke to start no matter what the outside temp. was until it was warmed up.

Sounds like I better learn how to start a carb'd bike again! Set choke, turn ignition key, hit starter button, and don't open the thottle is how I remember it.
            2005 FJR 1300 ABS

Comment

Then you sir , are lucky . Even running WAY too rich , I'd STILL have to choke mine unless it was quite warm out . I used to tinker with my jetting almost every weekend , and would STILL almost always need to use choke to get it started without a fight . Even if it was just a smidgen ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I am like most others.... I have to choke my 05 600 Kat EVERY first start of the day. If it is still hot and it has been sitting for a few hours it needs a quick choke then off with it. I have always been taught to use the choke for as short of time as it needs it to help save those plugs. This winter we had a 45 degree day and it took be ten minutes to get her started and I had to use the choke the entire time and even at first when I took her out. The post 98 Kats are known to not like the cold weather from what I have always heard.

Comment

CHOKE HER
                  I would say as a rule of thumb, if cases are cool to the touch I need the choke
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Picked up the Kat yesterday, and I guess I don't have to worry about whether or not to use the choke to start it. The choke lever won't move, the cable under the tank is damaged, and I don't think it's connected properly. I'll seek more detailed advise from you in another post.
                    2005 FJR 1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
                    X