X

clutch problem? please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch problem? please help!

i have a 05 kat600....bought it used a month ago with 7700 miles on it. When i shift from neutral to first gear, the bike jerks hard but not to the point of cutting off the engine. I brought it to the suzuki stealership and they said that's normal! They adjusted the free play in the cable at the clutch level and said that's all there is they can do! what might be the problem for the jerking from neutral to 1st? also if i need a new clutch, where can i get a set from? and what exact parts do I need? thanks so much for the help!

just wanna add a few things to clarify, the reason i brought the bike to the dealership is because the PO just had the 7500 miles tune up service at the dealerships a few days before he sold it to me. I'd love to do my own fixing if you guys can give me a few pointers. Thanks
    Last edited by kraziedn; 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sounds normal to me, mine does the same. Don't sweat it.

What do you mean "the bike jerks hard but not to the point of cutting off the engine" Why would the engine cut off if you have the clutch in?
    Last edited by katman05; 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

i don't know man....when shifting from neutral to 1st, i hear a thunking sound while the bike jerks, i'm afraid the engine would cut off when it did that....

Comment

yeah I have the same thing and still wonder about it... I always thought the clutch completly pressed in would allow a fluid movement without that

Comment

Yeah , it's kinda common that it kicks some ...
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Mine kicks a bit too...so does my bro-in-laws...seems normal.

Comment

Mine kicked hard enough to kill it when I replaced the clutch cable the other day. Just adjusted the screw on the sprocket cover and it went back away. Clutch just wasn't fully disengaged.
              I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
              --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

thanks guys! i guess i have to live with this since this seems to be a normal thing for katana. I had a ninja 500 a while back, and a 650 sometimes back also. I don't remember those bikes ever had this problem. that is why i'm a little bit concern about the "kick" while shifting to 1st. While on the subject of clutch, how often do i have to change out the clutch assembly?

Comment

Mine does it too. I've noticed it's gotten progressively worse the more miles I put on it so I think it might have something to do with the clutch wearing. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts stalling then I'd look into replacing the clutch. How many miles are on it? Mine's got just under 16,000 and it's an 05' 600.
                  ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Originally posted by Qweezark View Post
                    Mine does it too. I've noticed it's gotten progressively worse the more miles I put on it so I think it might have something to do with the clutch wearing. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts stalling then I'd look into replacing the clutch. How many miles are on it? Mine's got just under 16,000 and it's an 05' 600.
                    as of now, it has 8,300 miles!

Comment

Usually the harder the kick the more stretched out the cable is ,try adjusting it,Its not supposed to kick real hard that means its not fully releasing the clutch ,Id just replace the cable if its old .
                      eventually it will get to the point that it will die when you squeeze the clutch and try to go into 1st..... At that point its time for a new cable .....If its hydraulic flush the fluid and bleed the system
                      1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
                      2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
                      sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
                      Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
                      A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Originally posted by quik89Kat View Post
                        .....If its hydraulic flush the fluid and bleed the system
                        mine is 05 kat 600, is the clutch hydraulic?

Comment

Originally posted by kraziedn View Post
                          mine is 05 kat 600, is the clutch hydraulic?
                          Nope its cable, Try adjusting it 1st I doubt its worn to the end of its adjustment already
                          1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
                          2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
                          sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
                          Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
                          A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

I really wouldn't worry about it. Seems like several people's kat do it. I still think it's from the clutch wearing. Cable adjustment doesn't do anything... already played around with it alot. Find someone who's had the snapping and replaced their clutch already... I'll bet it went away or is very minor. If you still wanna know by the end of summer I plan on replacing mine then. The clutch discs wearing makes sence to me but no one else has said anything about it yet so I dunno.
                            ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Originally posted by Qweezark View Post
                              I really wouldn't worry about it. Seems like several people's kat do it. I still think it's from the clutch wearing. Cable adjustment doesn't do anything... already played around with it alot. Find someone who's had the snapping and replaced their clutch already... I'll bet it went away or is very minor. If you still wanna know by the end of summer I plan on replacing mine then. The clutch discs wearing makes sence to me but no one else has said anything about it yet so I dunno.
                              thanks man....keep me posted when you change out your clutch...i wanna know if you'd notice anything different as far as shifting is concerned....

Comment

Working...
                              X