clutch problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch problem

well my clutch lever takes a lot of effort to pull in
    but i disconected the cable from the bottom and squeezed the clutch lever and it was normal
    this tells me that its not the cable

so any opinions why the clutch is hard to engage and disengage

There are a lot of parts that can be binding under that cover. Not including the clutch itself. Start with:
    Lubing the cable, get some spray and get as much down the cable as possible.
    Lube the lever pivot. I use a little chain lube.
    Lube the area where the cable connects to the lever.
    I know you don't think it is the cable etc but once you add the load of the clutch these little items add up.

Next remove the sprocket cover. Clean and lube the pusher mechanism as well as the cable attachment points and the linkages. That area can be a magnet for dirt and grit because of all the chain lube that gets flung around in there. So do take the time to clean the parts. While you're in there remove the push rod (it pulls right out) check to make sure it is straight and has no burrs etc..

Comment

Comment

Go to the gym?

Comment

lube it iif that don't work sit down have more beer handy and relook at opps.
          sigpic

Comment

is it a hydraulic or a mechanical clutch ICE? If Hydraulic I would focus on the clutch pushrod being bent or sludged up as Pete said on cable clutch I'd look at the pushrod and the cable itself maybe its pinched somewhere causing cable bind ...especially at where it enters the front of the frame maybe it was routed wrong by someone hope that helps ya out ...let us know
            1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
            2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
            sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
            Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
            A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Originally posted by ICEG View Post
              so any opinions why the clutch is hard to engage and disengage
              Aftermarket clutch springs, ie Barnett.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Hey ICE,

The first thing you have to ask yourself is how did it happen? Did it sit for a long time, or did you park it one day and when you went back the next day did this problem occur?

If it sat for a while, and the last time you rode it it worked correctly, more than likely as the others have said, gummed up cable or part of it.

If it happened overnight, it could be another problem. That's in my opinion though. I don't see a clutch getting gummed up over night, when it was working properly 12-24 hrs prior.

Comment

Working...
                X