1993 600 KAT (NO SPARK) and Body work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 600 KAT (NO SPARK) and Body work

Hey there guys!
    Im new to this scene, just picked up my first bike. Im 16 and don't know much about bikes but we all start somewere. I know my fair share of auto and trucks but starting with my project bike this winter.

Okay so I have no spark, tried 3 plug wires but getting no spark. My question is were to start for the trouble shoot or do you think it's both coil's? When I bought the bike the owner told me it needs new coil's. Does this make sense?

What is the best way to replace or fix cracked or damaged fairings?

Another question is, this bike sat for awhile in his garage and he didn't use it what would be and should be my basic tune up's and clean ups before I get up and start riding in summer?

Thanks alot guys,

Nate.
    sigpic

You could say that?

New gas, clean carbs, check petcock for proper function, new plugs, make sure chain is ok, make sure the brakes work, just basic stuff.

Also, being 16 how are you planning to get insurance?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have the coils BTW. I don't have wires just the coils you can buy after maket wires for like $20 bucks DW200 let me know if you want the coils.

Comment

Welcome!

Check the frame and plastics forum for alot of great posts on how to do body work on the plastics.

Nice ride, and good luck on getting her going.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to the forum.. You've definately found the right place to ask Kat questions.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

scottynoface- In WI we can insure a motorcycle at age 16, you can register one at age 16. Why what are the laws were your at?

arsenic- I would defiantly take you up on that offer, I was bidding on some today on eBay for 6 bucks in Milwaukee which is rate by me but I had to work tell 10:00 and missed the ending. How much you want for them? Thanks I really need them to make sure I don't have something else for a problem on my hand. Would that be why not one plug wire will spark? Like out of 4 I would of though one would...

Kreylyn- Thanks alot, I already been printing off articles. I am a telemarketer, so I read them and highlight etc when I am working haha.

Newbie2it- Thanks, I agree. I have had more help here then I ever had in a forum with any subject.

Once again thanks again guys, all update with photos when I get some progress. Keep it coming with parts you have and advice.
            Take care!

I suggest we learn to love ourselves
            Before it's made illegal
            - Incubus

btw scottie- Incubus= pure love, i got there discography. Pure dank.
            Last edited by nater123; 01-20-2009, 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

not $6 bucks, sorry there dude.

Comment

No problem, what is your price shipped. Altoona, WI 54720. Do you think that is my problem as for not getting spark?
                sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

I certainly think that could be part of the problem, a BIG part. If the PO said you needed new coils get new coils. Check your private messages, I sent you all the info you need.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 01-20-2009, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks alot. Ya I think it's them too, I just need to order the pair or once I get them from you get new coil wires & spark plugs.
                    sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Easy no spark check. Unplug primary side of coil, take a test light and connect ground lead or tester to one wire and touch the other end to the other wire. Crank engine over. If light pulses on tester, everything up to coil is good. Can check resistance values of coils to see if they are bad, don't remember values off of my head. Will have to check out manual.
                      If test light doesn't pulse, could have a bad CDI, pickup sensor, or some other component.
                      No spark is easy to check for, no need to throw money at it guessing.

Comment

primary - 2 to 4 ohms
                        secondary - 30,000 to 40,000 ohms

I didn't have to check the manual for that.

Comment

Right on thanks alot guys. I will test tommorow then and see what I come up with. The local bike place, sport rider wanted 10 bucks a coil to check them if they are good. Would it make sense that both coils are bad though? How would this happen? I mean there isn't any spark on 1-4 plug's.

I started looking into working with the fairings I have and the front one's are looking like they will be a pain to repair. Anyone got any that will fit my bike? Im paint them anyways, just need them in good shape. Or what is the best route to fixing mine?
                          sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

For the plastics, look in the body shop forums...

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing it.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I went there, I just don't know which to use.. Like fiber glass, abs etc.. ? Anyone who has a left and right fairing for the front let me know. Front left I need and the right one would be a bonus and save me some fiberglass work.
                              sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Working...
                              X