X

only two cylinders working

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only two cylinders working

It has been awhile since I have been on here, wrecked the bike over a year ago and took a pretty long time getting it up and running again. Well, I am finally done but after a carb clean and new plugs, the bike has very little power on accerleration. After a little diagnosis work, whenever I spray water on the exhaust the cylinders one and three pipes are the only ones that get hot. I took the carbs back apart to make sure I didn't screw anything up and still have the problem. Checked spark and have that for every cylinder as well. I think the problem is in the carb or with the fuel but don't know what else to check. oh yeah, it is a 1996 750 with upgraded full exhaust and jet kit that did run great before the wreck. I did start the bike at least once every two weeks during this time and kept fuel stabilizer in the tank during the least year and a half.

Have the carbs been synced?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

not yet, could it be that simple, they should still heat up some right, one and three are hot really hot after one minute warm up.
      Last edited by CVG2; 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM.

Comment

At an idle, if the pipes are cool to the touch, the pilots are in need of attention. If you split the carb's ,yes, you need to sync them. Sync them anyway.

Comment

Since one and three work but two and four don't I would say coil issue. But you say you're getting spark...are plugs two and four fouled up? Starting up every so often will foul plugs easily.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I checked the plugs again, they are still okay, I guess I will pull the carbs again and check the pilots. If that doesn't fix it I am going to take it to a real mechanic, I apparently am not a good one. Thanks for the replies and will let you know what happens.

Comment

I have lived your problem along with a few other KR members. Either clean the pilots or change them. If you have the plug that actually plugs the pilot jet and doesn't fit right, you need to replace it.
              Last edited by Kfreak; 01-18-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Since one and three work but two and four don't I would say coil issue. But you say you're getting spark...are plugs two and four fouled up? Starting up every so often will foul plugs easily.
                Nice try kid , but no . Coils run 1/4 and 2/3 . Unless the wires are crossed .....
                Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Have the carbs been synced?
                Don't matter , the headers Should still get hot . It just won't run quite right .

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                I have lived your problem along with a few other KR members. Either clean the pilots or change them. If you have the plug that actually plugs the pilot jet and doesn't fit right, you need to replace it.
                If those pilot plugs didn't fit right , plugs'd be black , not new-looking .

Dude , does "CVG" indicate you live near CVG ? If so , you're in my neck of the woods , and I typically work for pizza or new tools .....
                But yeah , pilot circuit sounds logical , in that if it's not letting any fuel through , it won't fire , and the plugs would still look new . And the jet's sounds logical , as I could see them being overlooked by someone not real sure about what they're doing .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Like I said..... clean the pilots or replace them. Since you are there, replace the pilot plugs, it's time.

Comment

The simplist would be stuck floats. That happened to me on the number 4 cylinder.

I'm not sure on the pre's but I opened the drain screw on number four carb and no gas came out. That told me right there it was a stuck float, therefore no combustion on number four.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      Nice try kid , but no . Coils run 1/4 and 2/3 . Unless the wires are crossed .....
                      Ah got it backwards. My mistake
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X