X

losing power a few minutes after starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing power a few minutes after starting

started up the bike yesterday, choked it for about 30 seconds at 2000 RPMs.. noticed that when i switched to first, rolled on the throttle, and let out the clutch it accelerated normally for a second or two, then it felt like the throttle was not feeding any gas and the engine shut off.

so, i start it up again, roll on the throttle and the same deal, but the engine does not shut off just slows down a ton (slow enough for me to duck walk the bike while the throttle is fully open), after a few seconds it finally decides to (very slowly) accelerate. after about a minute of riding the bike responds normally.

i am not mechanically inclined, so i am not sure what the issue is. any ideas?
    joey b.

I have this problem unless I let my bike run for 5 to 10 minutes before trying to ride. I'm sure it's something to do with the carbs. Someone with more knowledge than me (and there are a lot of them) will confirm or correct this.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

The choke is there to be used untill the bike is warm, most bikes will behave like this if the choke is shut off too early so the problem is incorrect use of the choke

Some will say warm the bike untill it accepts throttle without choke then ride & some will say ride on choke reducing it gradually untill you can shut it off completey the choice is yours
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I usually left my choke on long enough to zip my jacket, get my helmet on, and then get the gloves on. By that time it was normally warm enough to ride off without choke.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah , I NEVER had a problem like that from the choke , unless it was to turn it on while the bike was already warm .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Is it stock?

I would say that the engine is still cold. Choke the bike normally, after you've turned off the choke hold open the throttle between 2,000-3,000 rpms for, maybe another minute. See what that does.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

thanks for all the info! yeah, the bike's internals are all stock.
                joey b.

Comment

30 seconds warm up is not nearly enough.
                  over use of the choke will slowly kill your engine as the extra rich mixture washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

Use the choke for 30 seconds then shut it off but continue to warm up the bike at a fast idle for 2-3 minutes using the throttle

After 3 minutes of running at fast idle, the bike should respond to throttle.
                  you should never operate the motorcycle under load with the choke on.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    30 seconds warm up is not nearly enough.
                    over use of the choke will slowly kill your engine as the extra rich mixture washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

Use the choke for 30 seconds then shut it off but continue to warm up the bike at a fast idle for 2-3 minutes using the throttle

After 3 minutes of running at fast idle, the bike should respond to throttle.
                    you should never operate the motorcycle under load with the choke on.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                    X