Quick clutch question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick clutch question

Ok...97 Katana 600.

I've adjusted the clutch as per directed from the clutch adjustment on here. I've gone from one extreme from a clutch setting, to the next.

When the clutch is pulled at its tightest, adjusted as far out as I can, I can put it in gear release the clutch and it won't act as if it is in gear. Release the clutch, and nothing. Still runs, give it throttle, and doesn't move. I'll adjust it down, and then when I put it in gear, the motorcycle lunges forward, without even releasing the clutch.

I'm thinking my clutch is fried. I don't have any history on this bike. I bought it used, and obviously well abused. Bald back tired, laid over, and not running.
    It has 18k miles on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm new also, but have adjusted a few clutches. Follow the instructions here
    A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

You need to be between those extremes, but following the instructions shouldn't get you to one of the extremes.

Have you changed the oil?

Good luck,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by excat View Post
      and then when I put it in gear, the motorcycle lunges forward, without even releasing the clutch.
      That could be just cold oil or too thick of oil for your neck of the woods, i.e. temperature. That usually happens to me in the mornings now that it is winter.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

no, that how-to is not correct. when it says to tighten the screw on the worm gear until you feel HEAVY tension. Don't do that. Tighten it until it seats that back it out 1/2 a turn, trust me. That will fix your problem, it will.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          no, that how-to is not correct. when it says to tighten the screw on the worm gear until you feel HEAVY tension. Don't do that. Tighten it until it seats that back it out 1/2 a turn, trust me. That will fix your problem, it will.
          Why hasn't that tutorial been changed then?

Comment

Looks at Steves for that answer. Its been posted more than once and its a known fact from the Suzuki manual. Why does Aresinic need to keep recorrecting this statement? FTW, just change the wording so its correct.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I told HS2020 that, he wrote the how-to, don't blame me, I told him

Comment

So, tighten it until I feel the heavy tension, then back out 1/2 turn, correct?

As per the oil question, no I have not changed the oil. I was more concerned to see if the clutch was burnt up first, before I worried about the oil, since I was going to have to change the oil anyway if I needed to replace the clutch.

Comment

My comment was in regards that cold oil will prevent the clutch disks from sperating completely, creating drag and therefore the lurching you experience.

Comment

negative, you tighten it until it seats, not until you feel heavy tension
                    Originally posted by excat View Post
                    So, tighten it until I feel the heavy tension, then back out 1/2 turn, correct?

As per the oil question, no I have not changed the oil. I was more concerned to see if the clutch was burnt up first, before I worried about the oil, since I was going to have to change the oil anyway if I needed to replace the clutch.

Comment

I told HS2020 that, he wrote the how-to, don't blame me, I told him
                      I know you did, and stated it multiple times. If HS2020 can't man up on fixing whats wrong. Steves Can. Its why I am pointing at the MODs that can change this so wrong info stops getting handed out. This is an older head scratcher then "What is the biggest tire size I can put on the Kat"

Maybe this time it'll get changed. :::crosses eyes::::::
                      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

negative, you tighten it until it seats, not until you feel heavy tension
                        Ok, I'm not understanding the expression of "seats" here then. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but when you say "seats", do you mean all the way in?

Comment

"seats" refers to fully touching. Like your butt, and a chair, and you're "seated".

Comment

It's not that concept that I'm not understanding, I guess I'm not understanding the adjustment on the worm gear itself to understand "how and where" it's seating to know what I'm trying to feel for to tell when it is fully seated, against whatever it is seating against.

Comment

when it stops turning it's seated, if you gotta "work" to turn it, you went to far.

Comment

Working...
                              X