X

Ignition check !!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition check !!

Hey guys ! Here goes. I have a question about ignition switch check. According to both the Suzuki service manual and Haynes manual, there are 4 continuity checks to make on the switch and if ANY of them fail, to replace the switch. I have no continuity on the pair with the orange/yellow wire to black/white wire. I know it sounds like I answered my own question, but I'd like confirmation from some of you since I'm not that confident in my electrical testing. I would especially like to hear from Arsenic and/or Cyberpoet. No offense to you other guys . I want your input too. Many Thanks.

Yep you got it already
    That is if your ignition switch is one with ON, OFF, LOCK and PARK positions
    For this 4 position switch there are 3 contacts in the ON position 1 in the park position
    Although wiring diagram colors will differ a little depending on the year of the bike they are all pretty much the same.

mine says for the ON position you must have continuity between
    R & O ,
    R/O & B/W,
    Gr & Br

in the park position between
    R & Br

If you do not have continuity between these then the switch is toast.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

what he said

Comment

More Ignition Check !

O.K. Guys, I guess this case is closed then. Many Thanks!........hold on a second, I forgot something. On the two wires that I believe are bad(the orange/red and black/white I have no continuity but I do have a resistance reading over a hundred ohms. I should have a short between the two correct? Hence the continuity reading. Just something I forgot and wanted to mention to be absolutely sure.
        Last edited by eosrules; 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM. Reason: forgot about this

Comment

What is wrong with the bike that makes you think the switch was bad in the first place?
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

It turns over but won't fire up. The orange wire goes directly to the ignition module, so if there is a problem with those two connections it should have a problem not firing up correct?......Thanks

Comment

yep
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Thanks for the help HD. You're a man of many words! LOL !

Comment

Working...
                X