X

Winter is here...time for maintenance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter is here...time for maintenance

I got a newer GSXR a couple of months before the winter hit and have neglected my '93 600 since. With the weather being the way it is here up north, I plan on doing quite a bit of work on the Kat while its cold and have a few general questions.
    1) I've cleaned the carbs countless times, and am unable to find any kind of vacuum leak or clogging when I spray while running...but I cannot keep the idle from hanging for a few seconds after blipping the throttle. It'll hang anywhere in the range of 2.5-3K for at least 15-30 seconds before coming back down to 1300. Any suggestions? Factory airbox is installed. a/f screws are a little over 3. Anything lower and I have no power when hitting the throttle.

2) When performing a sync, I am also having difficulty getting my rpms to stay at 1750. Just below 2000, and then drops all the way back down to a little above 1000. Any ideas?

3) I was gonna do a valve adjustment, but got the cover off and was too intimidated. What are some indications that this needs to be done?

I'm sure there'll be more once I get back into it, but wanted to throw this out there for a little guidance. Thanks.
    2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Are the main jets factory? As in just a single groove on it as opposed to multiple rings? Trying to figure out if you have a jet ket.

Also, you say you cleaned the carbs, One question. Did you physically unscrew the pilot jets and make sure you are able to see light through not only the very tip, but also the side holes.

One other question, Have you checked to be sure the choke and throttle cables are not binding? I.E. turn the steering one side to the other and see if it affects the idle. Also, make sure that the choke rail is actually all the way in by physically pushing on it to ensure it is.

Let us know.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

93 600, yeah I would get intimidated too

Comment

Originally posted by III View Post
        ...but I cannot keep the idle from hanging for a few seconds after blipping the throttle. It'll hang anywhere in the range of 2.5-3K for at least 15-30 seconds before coming back down to 1300.
        One thing I've noticed on mine is, unless the engine is at operating temperature, setting or resetting the idle can cause the idle hang issue. Meaning, don't adjust the idle when the engine is running but still cold. If you readjust the idle in that condition, it has on mine, it will create the idle hang.

When the engine is at running temperature and you adjust the idle properly, after it's been shut down for the night, and restarted the next day, the idle will be lower then when it was the day before. So then you think to yourself, "hey the idle's too low. I need to bump it up". Of course now it's a cold engine and therefore it'll cause the idle hang.

That's my $0.02.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
          Are the main jets factory? As in just a single groove on it as opposed to multiple rings? Trying to figure out if you have a jet ket.

Also, you say you cleaned the carbs, One question. Did you physically unscrew the pilot jets and make sure you are able to see light through not only the very tip, but also the side holes.

One other question, Have you checked to be sure the choke and throttle cables are not binding? I.E. turn the steering one side to the other and see if it affects the idle. Also, make sure that the choke rail is actually all the way in by physically pushing on it to ensure it is.

Let us know.
          I know better than to give half @$$ info...my bad. I have a Factory Pro jet kit. I believe the mains are either 112 or 114. The e-clip is in the middle position. I tried moving them up and down a notch both ways and didn't notice anything positive.
          I've cleaned the carbs probably 4-5 times since the beginning of this summer. All jets completely removed and soaked in Seafoam and dried with an air compressor. No clogs there.
          I actually even re-routed throttle cable from going through the path all the others were (clutch and choke) and just took it around the head of the frame. When I turn the bars all the way to the right and twist the throttle, it'll snap back and I can hear a click. I do think the choke rail may be slightly bent...perhaps this is my issue?

Does it seem odd that I have the a/f screws out to 3.5?

Squiggy:
          I think you are on to something there as well. I usually go straight to the idle screw right after I start it up for the first time after having it apart. That makes complete sense...especially with these bikes. I will definitely get it up to temp later tonight if I can get to it.

Arsenic:
          I kept searching on the adjustment after I posted this and found that you even prefer not to do the valves on a pre. I promptly slapped that cover right back where it came from...and moved on. I wasn't even sure if it was necessary...was just curious.

Thanks fellas. I'll keep you informed of the progress.
          2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by III View Post
            I actually even re-routed throttle cable from going through the path all the others were (clutch and choke) and just took it around the head of the frame. When I turn the bars all the way to the right and twist the throttle, it'll snap back and I can hear a click. I do think the choke rail may be slightly bent...perhaps this is my issue?
            When you snap the throttle with the handlebar turned to this position and hear the "snap" Does the throttle still hang? Also,on the choke, you might try just reaching in through the fairing and give the rail a push with your finger to see if its closed all the way.
            Does it seem odd that I have the a/f screws out to 3.5? Depends on what Factory pro calls for for any mods on the bike, Exhaust ect. Which air filter do you have in there, and is the airbox complete including the rubber hose off the bottom of the box with that hose being plugged at the bottom?
            Let us know
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

OK...so I got everything put back together (minus the plastics) and was able to get my external fuel connected and started her up. I let it get warmed up before I started trying to set the idle. It seemed like it was running better. I decided to check for leaks and after being sprayed, the idle stayed the same, until I gave it throttle...then it hung. Prior to spraying it, I was able to blip the throttle and have it return to the set idle without hanging...so it looks like a vac leak. I had to let it dry up last night before trying to locate it. I'm guessing I'm going to spray each carb and boot individually...then test, to see what I'm looking at. I can't for the life of me tell where it is. None of the boots on the intake appear to be cracked or anything.

The choke rail is sliding pretty freely and doesn't appear to be getting caught on anything. The airbox is complete factory (from Arsenic) with the hose and it's plugged.
              2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Comment

even though I'm kicking a dead horse hear, I have noticed that if I adjust idle while the engine was cool, it would be out of whack. I thought it was idling to low, so I set it up, when it got to normal temp, it was running high idle. Just wanted to include that for future reference, adjust idle after the bike is warm
                Currently Riding:
                1995 Katana 600
                V&H Exhaust
                Jet Kit

SOLD
                2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                1987 XV700 Bobber
                REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Working...
                X