X

Front sprocket not working

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
    I'm not sure how your math works out, but if you already have a 15-47 why don't you do the 15-45(stock)?? mathematically it is the exact same as 16-48.
    what year is your bike?
    I'm thinking the set up will last longer with larger sprockets.

Comment

don't forget about the clearance issue with the larger front sproket, look at my post on the first page.
      sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

The problem is the sprocket is smaller then the dampener and holders. the base of the teeth are below the dampener this and not allowing the chainto fit onto the sprocket completely.
        It has nothing to do with the chain being worn.

augh **** it
        I give up
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

makes sense to me
          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            The problem is the sprocket is smaller then the dampener and holders. the base of the teeth are below the dampener this and not allowing the chainto fit onto the sprocket completely.
            It has nothing to do with the chain being worn.

augh **** it
            I give up

If that were the case, it wouldn't line up on ANY of the teeth. As it is, it binds up on every 4th or so, according to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2 View Post
              If that were the case, it wouldn't line up on ANY of the teeth. As it is, it binds up on every 4th or so, according to the OP.
              Watching the video again it sounds like its binding on every tooth just worse ever 3 or 4.
              The fact that the OP failed to see this himself when he bolted the sprocket on makes me think hes not sure what he's looking at or seeing.

FWIW I change the front sprocket and chain for every other rear sprocket. After two years my steel rear sprocket shows no obvious visable signs of wear. I only replaced the front sprocket and the chain with aprox 20,000km on them.
              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

i want to point something. please note

i took the previous picture and modified it to match what i am experiencing.
                i want to point out the shape of the teeth on the new 13t and used 14t sprocket sprocket (see original pics on first post) and the location where the links touch each sprocket when the chain turns
                i still think there is something else along with the worn chain.

Last edited by 4g vtec; 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM.
                97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
                94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

Comment

Why is this so hard for you to understand

I get all that....... and thats what it will do....

The dampener diameter is larger then the base of the sprocket so the chain is sitting on the dampeners on either side of the sprocket and riding up on top of the points of the teeth rather then between them.
                  Its so simple measure the pitch between the tips of the sprocket teeth, then the distance between the pins on the chain if they are the same then you have the correct pitch sprocket and what I have said is the problem

this is what I am talking about

I bet if you remove the dampeners and dampener holders that chain will fit down onto the sprocket properly allinging it allowing it to rotate fine and not bind...

if you try to ride it like this the chain will slip on the sprocket
                  Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Why is this so hard for you to understand
                    woah there

easy cowboy, i was just point out other stuff!!!.... i got what you said the first time.

the fact that the sprocket will not work without a new chain and without smaller diameter dampeners we established a few posts ago.
                    97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
                    94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

Comment

I never said that the 13T won't work with old chain. in fact I said it would...
                      4 links will not stretch that much to be off by 1/2 a link unless the rollers are missing.

you said " i still think there is something else along with the worn chain." and never mentioned anything about what I have explained.
                      I mean if you want to keep pointing out things go right ahead. but you never mentioned once that you even remotely grasped the idea that the sprocket is too small for the OE dampeners/hardware.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

I never said that the 13T won't work with old chain. in fact I said it would...
                        4 links will not stretch that much to be off by 1/2 a link unless the rollers are missing.
                        Actually, yes it will. The smaller size of the 13T will exaggerate the effect as well. Combine the wear of the number of rollers that are in contact with the teeth around the whole cog.

Is the dampener from the original 14T cog? If so, we could have ended this 3 pages ago.

Comment

no way
                          Many times I have seen people cut out a link from a chain because they ran out of adjustment... 1 link out of 100
                          Your sayin out of 8 links it will stretch one complete link length? (4 for 1/2 a link)
                          A 530 chain link is like 5/8" between the pins. each link would have to stretch over 1/16" thats not going to happen.

Shut on a 100 link chain you would have to take out 5 links

and yes this is the original dampener for the 14T sprocket... thats' what i have been sayin for the last 3 pages
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

wow, I see things are moving along nicely here. If it gets any more heated we'll really be getting somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X