X

Starting in the cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting in the cold

Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right area.

Here is my scenario: I drove my bike on Monday (12/15/08) because it was almost 60º in NYC. Then I put my bike back in its spot. That spot is outside. I covered the bike with a bike cover and kiss it good night. This past Friday (12/19/08) through today (Monday 12/22/08) the temperatures in NYC were low, below freezing. Today it is in the teens.

I was also waiting on my friend to lend me his garage for the winter. He just said yes and I want to move it there. But because of these low temperatures, I'm afraid that the pistons, rubber ring and block itself have fused together. Just like my car door and its rubber seam this morning. So all this leads me to my questions.

How bad is it to start the bike in the cold or after very cold days? What damage can I get from stating my bike after it been sitting in the cold?

Thank you all.

?

shouldnt be a problem as long as the weight fore the oil is right

Comment

Originally posted by lmj001 View Post
      shouldnt be a problem as long as the weight fore the oil is right
      Correct
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

The Oil Level is good and I even added fuel stabilizer. So if I need to move it this week i can ride it. Don't need to tow it.

Comment

you can ride it, just like the others said if you used the right oil.....it'll be fine...

if it acts like it doesn't want to start flip the petcock over to PRI and open the choke all the way for about 30 seconds, then fire it off, and switch back to ON....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Wubber wing?? What eh don't understand??

Comment

you can ride it, just like the others said if you used the right oil.....it'll be fine...
              Let it run for a few before pulling off
              1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Comment

And it'd be nice to be sure the battery has a good charge on it . I had to jump mine after sitting for several weeks because it was too cold to make a strong enough spark to breathe life into it . So if you have a charger .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I did it. I started my bike just now to warm up my engine and it started perfect regardless of the cold weather that we had in NYC this week.

Comment

Working...
                  X