X

Engine Durability

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Durability

I have read and confirmed that GSX crank has helical cut gears as apposed to the GSX-R having a straight cut crank gear. I am planning on modding a Pre 750 to about 170hp. I don't want to to hear flak about how it can't be done. I just want to know would the crank and clutch basket hold up.

your gonna mod a tuna to 170 HP, figure it out yourself. And the pre 750 crank and the GSXR 750 88-90 crank are the SAME THING

Comment

the crank gear on the gsx is helical the gsxr is straight cut, to my understanding. Do you think that engine could survive with that much power. I plan on running 15+psi into the engine and a few other mods.

Comment

I don't think, I just do. I DO NOT mod a tuna with a turbo, your on your own there

Comment

Originally posted by ericej2344 View Post
          the crank gear on the gsx is helical the gsxr is straight cut, to my understanding. Do you think that engine could survive with that much power. I plan on running 15+psi into the engine and a few other mods.
          oil cooled gsxr crank gears can be either helical OR straight cut depending on year cc & model
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Well I guess I will find out which gears are on the crank of 90 model 750 during tear down. In which case time will tell if the engine will hold up.

Comment

good luck with the project. Keep us updated, it can't help but be interesting which ever way it goes.
              sigpic

Comment

170hp kat. thats sounds bad to the bone good luck and post your progress.

Comment

good luck with the project keep us updated

Comment

good luck on the build
                    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                    k9 GSX-R 600
                    GO VOLS!

Comment

That would be quite the feat! Keep us updated for sure!
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Cognito, ergo zoom.

I think, therefore I haul a**.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

This project is going to take a good while. I just finished commercial driving school, started a new job, have a second kid due in February, and have dept up too my eye balls. However I am just 22 I have plenty of time to get around to it. I don't think with a turbo it'll be that hard to get 170 at the crank. Been doing allot of research, IMHO more horsepower is ALMOST always obtainable but not always sustainable.(If that makes sense) That's why I asked about the crank to begin with.

Comment

the problem isn't getting the HP with the turbo, it's turboing carbs. If you switch to EFI it is certainly doable. With carbs, best of luck, no ones done it yet, and they've had 20 years
                            Last edited by arsenic; 12-06-2008, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I am definitely going to do a EFI system. The tuning possibilities are damn near infinite, and they are free.(GO MEGSQUIRT) As a matter a fact i'm doing the EFI before the turbo. I just want to be as thorough as possible with R&D before jumping in. With all the combined knowledge here, im in the right place.

Comment

Working...
                              X