X

Question about front end swap.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about front end swap.....

I know that Kawasaki and Suzuki sourced alot of there parts from the same manufaturers in the past. I am looking to swap out the forks on a Kat 750, and I hear that early model gsxr forks may be the easiest and best way to go. With that in mind, will early 90's zx7 forks work just as well? Maybe just swap out the bearings and/or steering stem? I was wondering if anyone here has swapped zx parts onto their Kat, and if so, what problems they might have run across. I may be able to buy an almost complete front end off of a 90 zx7, all but the lower tripple and stem. Any one have any suggestions?
    Keep the rubber side down

*** I have no facts to offer, just speculation. ***

That being said, Kawasaki's (especially the ZX's) are built pretty differently from Suzukis. Ive had both and they are different beasts. That being said, you will need to take some measurements to see if they will fit. The fork length might be the same, but that doesn't mean they will fit. Get a tape measure.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by ericzx7 View Post
      I know that Kawasaki and Suzuki sourced alot of there parts from the same manufaturers in the past. I am looking to swap out the forks on a Kat 750, and I hear that early model gsxr forks may be the easiest and best way to go. With that in mind, will early 90's zx7 forks work just as well? Maybe just swap out the bearings and/or steering stem? I was wondering if anyone here has swapped zx parts onto their Kat, and if so, what problems they might have run across. I may be able to buy an almost complete front end off of a 90 zx7, all but the lower tripple and stem. Any one have any suggestions?
      Eh, semi-worst case scenario you have to get some custom bearings made up... What is that additional cost in comparison to the larger scope of the project anyway?
      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
      -Robert Morrison

"
      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

i had some kwaka usd forks and wheels on my kat, i changed the steering stem over though
        the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

sorry to ***** your thread but has anyone ever converted the front end as far as fairings go to any other kind except katanas?
          2000 Katana- vance and hines exhaust 03+ rear end, 14/48 sprockets, stage 1 jet kit, 5 degree ignition advancer, WANT B12 HEADER

1997 S10- 3/4 drop on 20 inch rims, tinted tails, shaved doors, tailgate, antenna, 12 inch orion sub with 1200 watt orion amp, hvac controls relocated in glove box, sony head unit with infinity components, smoothed and painted dash parts, chrome window cranks and shifter, too much to list

Comment

Originally posted by 2000GSXKatana View Post
            sorry to ***** your thread but has anyone ever converted the front end as far as fairings go to any other kind except katanas?
            Yes. Don't remember who, but I know its on this site somewhere...
            None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
            -Robert Morrison

"
            well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

The 1990 Kawasaki uses KYB 43mm fork tube, so in theory you could use all years of the Bandit 1200 triple tree (not stering stem). The Bandit triple tree is also 43mm and it uses the same bearings as the late '80's to 2006 Katana's.

A couple things that you need to address are the fork spacing that the Bandit's stering stem as (edit: has to as) to the Kawacker's axle spacing. If you change the stering stem, then will your ignition mate to the new stem? The stering locks may change so that you need to create new one's.
              Last edited by squiggy; 12-13-2008, 02:03 AM.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Loads of good advice guys. Thanks for the heads up. I'd really prefer to swap in some USD forks. Any suggestions on what works best? Trying to keep it as low buck as possible .

Comment

Trying to keep it as low buck as possible .
                  "Low buck" will be a relative term when doing a front end swap, as you will need the whole front end.

I would say stick with Suzuki since the bearings can be the same, as well as the front wheel will still have the 3 spoke look.

This subject has been discussed before, so I'd recomend doing a search under "upside down forks" or "USD forks".

But this will get you going. Go to All Balls Bearings. Scrool down and click on "Click To Start A Part Number Search". Type in 22-1004. That whole list will give you what are compatible with the Katana steering head bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    "Low buck" will be a relative term when doing a front end swap, as you will need the whole front end.

I would say stick with Suzuki since the bearings can be the same, as well as the front wheel will still have the 3 spoke look.

This subject has been discussed before, so I'd recomend doing a search under "upside down forks" or "USD forks".

But this will get you going. Go to All Balls Bearings. Scrool down and click on "Click To Start A Part Number Search". Type in 22-1004. That whole list will give you what are compatible with the Katana steering head bearings.
                    Thank you very much for the tip. This will be very helpfull. Much appreciated!

Comment

Thank you very much for the tip. This will be very helpfull. Much appreciated!

Have fun with the research.

Comment

Edit to change the words Bandit "steering stem" to "triple tree", since the wording can be misleading.
                        Last edited by squiggy; 12-13-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

i agree on sticking with suzuki bits, be easier to fit if you do your research and they do make the best bits, these guys know there stuff
                          Genetic engineering of an extinct species
                          the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

Working...
                          X