Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with carbs reattachment

Greetings all,

Sorry for a long story.
    I took the carbs off for cleaning from my friend's bike. It's 1997 katana 750. The bike wasn't running at the time. I cleaned them and put back. I also set the pilot fuel screw to 3.5 turnes out instead of original 3 to give a better throttle response from idle. The bike starts now but the rpms hang when the throttle is bliped like there is an air leak. I checked everything but all seems tight. My only suspect is the hose that is attached to the side of the carb assembly and runs horizontally on the top. I can't remember were it was attached too. Can anyone help me with that?
    Also any thoughts on the hanging rpms?
    Thanks

The petcock?

Hanging idle is usually an air or vac leak in the system. The intake boots could be worn... one of the carb parts could be worn... or one of the airbox boots could be loose, or incorrectly fitted.

Try spraying carb cleaner or WD40 around the fittings while the bike is running. If you get an idle bounce you've found the leak.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks. But I don't think the 1997 Katana petcock is vacuum operated. I didn't see the fitting and it is not shon on the diagram I found on bikebandit.com

Originally posted by steves View Post
      The petcock?

Hanging idle is usually an air or vac leak in the system. The intake boots could be worn... one of the carb parts could be worn... or one of the airbox boots could be loose, or incorrectly fitted.

Try spraying carb cleaner or WD40 around the fittings while the bike is running. If you get an idle bounce you've found the leak.

Comment

97 Kat is def vacuum operated. The fitting is on the back. It might not be shown on the fiche, that is for finding parts not to guide you in reassembly.
        The hose going from the right side of carb #4 absolutely goes to the petcock..

Also if the throttle hang is still there after you attach all the loose hoses you goofed up the AF screws. Go back to stock..

Comment

Cool. And I was affraid I screwed my friend's bike.
          Thanks a ton.

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          97 Kat is def vacuum operated. The fitting is on the back. It might not be shown on the fiche, that is for finding parts not to guide you in reassembly.
          The hose going from the right side of carb #4 absolutely goes to the petcock..

Also if the throttle hang is still there after you attach all the loose hoses you goofed up the AF screws. Go back to stock..

Comment

3.5 turns out would be WAY rich. The original is NO WERE near 3 turns out.

Comment

750 I think is like 2 turns out.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

that's a whole lot closer then 3, I think stock is like 1.75

Comment

Okay, well someone remember for me so I know what to set Jimmy's carbs to when I get them done
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

mine are at 2.5 or 3 cant remember but the local bike guru told me to richen them up a bit when i had them at 2 had a little popping thats all gone now runs like a champ
                    voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                    82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                    83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

2.5 is perfect, that's what I always did before carbed bikes eveb hit the shoow room floor

Comment

Working...
                      X