X

going insane trying to fix.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going insane trying to fix.

ok. this is my first bike, and im very new to riding.
    its a 1999 katana 600.
    i just got it about a week ago. i rode it around the day i got it everything worked great, i suck at riding at the moment, so i dropped it. picked it up , waited a few minutes, started it back up and rode it home fine. came out the next day and it wouldn't start. it turns over, backfires (rarely), but won't start. i checked all the basic stuff right away. cutoff switch is in the right position. kickstand is down, bike in neutral. ive tried starting it with the choke on and off.
    a friend of mine came over to help, the first thing we thought was spark plugs. so we checked those. they seem fine. they smelled strongly of gas though, so we gave them a good wipe down and let them air out. we checked all the electrical wiring, the coils, the battery's charged, we even took out the carbs and gave them a thorough cleaning. put them back in, and its still doing the same thing. it just wont start.
    im getting to a whole new level of frustration trying to figure this out. its been almost a week since i've been able to ride, and that was my first ride ever. im tweaking to get back out there.

get new plugs, wiping them off and letting them dry off does nothing. It's not a backfire, that's an after fire

Comment

The stand should be up! not down.

Comment

the stand doesn't have to be up to start it. as long as its in neutral. i'll try getting some new plugs tonight. should i take the old ones out and leave them out for a bit to let it all air out before i throw the new ones in?

Comment

won't hurt

Comment

well i've tried starting it when the stands up too. doesn't change the response i get. i'll try new plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by wickorz View Post
              the stand doesn't have to be up to start it. as long as its in neutral. i'll try getting some new plugs tonight. should i take the old ones out and leave them out for a bit to let it all air out before i throw the new ones in?
              Of corse, but its one less safety to deal with.

Comment

Sounds like a float stuck maybe. Can't figure out why it ran after you dropped it nut not the nest day. Check to make sure it's not on prime(Do 97+ have prime function?)

Comment

In my opinion, once plugs have been flooded, they are junk. I would start there.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Comment

wouldnt crank at all if the side stand switch was bad. plugs, set to prime for 30 seconds, back to on unless the tank looks to be less than half full, then try reserve.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

DL nailed it .
                        And for the record , I've gotten gassy plugs to work before . But it makes things SO much easier if you don't mess with that .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

if youve left it on prime then the bores could have flooded and leaked through to your cases, check your oil level
                          the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 96 750, ran fine then the next week when I tried to start it up the thing flooded on me and fouled the plugs. I tried drying them out and it did nothing, had to break down and buy some new plugs. I would definately try that first.
                            1996 Suzuki Katana 750
                            Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
                            '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

Comment

Well, I want to give you a different idea to try...maybe you should try new plugs?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X