X

Idle with kickstand down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle with kickstand down?

I just bought a used 2005 katana GSX 600f with 4k miles on it.

Does this bike idle with the kickstand down, or does it have to be up for it to idle right?
    Last edited by kev0390; 11-05-2008, 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling

It'll idle in neutral with the kickstand down just fine.

Comment

^^ Yup

Comment

Reason I ask is that it won't stay idling. When i start it and rev it up, it revs fine, but when i let off, it drops down to 1k and then dies.

What should i be fixing, cleaning or replacing to make it idle ok?

I'm kind of new to bikes other than research i've done since buying it a few months ago. I just took a motorcycle drivers course (basic) and will be doing advanced and sport courses over the next month. The courses are required to ride on base where I am posted. So I haven't actually ridden my bike yet since i don't want to lay it down or ride it without the motorcycle license or insurance.

Thanks!

Comment

first thing I would do is raise the idle slightly (about 1100-1200). You can find the idle adjustment on the left side (when your sitting on it) in the small 'hole' in the fairing. There will be a black knob near the carbs that you can twist with your fingers.

After that, well, I'll let someone more mechanically knowledgeable answer
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Have you tried a little choke for about 30 secs or so to warm her up? Keep the idle around 2 grand for this time.

Comment

Keep in mind that if you put the bike in gear while the kickstand is down and the engine is running, it will die instantly. If the engine doesn't have a problem in the choke area, you might want to consider checking the spark plugs or cleaning the carburetors. Sometimes a chemical cleaner is sufficient.
              Nelsonind

Comment

Working...
              X