No announcement yet.
X

noob questions mkII with 500% more pictures

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the oil, hold the bike vertical on a level peice of ground, then check the oil. NEVER check the oil level on the side stand.

As for adjusting the freeplay in the chain, Loosen the rear axle bolt and turn each adjuster nut at the end of the swing arm 1/4 turn equally at a time. Since you are only dealing with a slight amount of slack, you might try going 1/8 of a turn on each equally and measure your slack. Make sure your following the directions in the manual on how to measure it.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

first choice : buy a factory service manual
      second choice : buy a Clymer service manual
      third choice : download the Haynes service manual (available here on this site)

IMHO Hanes is crap as the discriptions of procedures are not complete, nor the pics and diagrams very good

Not to worry, use the SEARCH feature in the header at the top of the pages here and do a seach for chain adjusting. Also TheCyberPoet's site has all sort of good general and Kat specific information, along with most of the normal service parts and the few special tools you'll need at very reasonable prices.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

oh! let me see if i finally have this right. removing the nut at the end of the swingarm will allow for movement of the axle nut in the center of the swingarm.

i can't believe this is so complicated for me to understand.. "You don't want your rear wheel adjusted so that it is at an angle to the front sprocket." how this could occur is beyond my understanding.

edit: on a side note, adjusting the dampers on the front vastly improved my comfort. left was one two but right was on three, now they are both on two.
        Last edited by kharma; 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM.
        joey b.

Comment

Originally posted by exfacior View Post
          "You don't want your rear wheel adjusted so that it is at an angle to the front sprocket." how this could occur is beyond my understanding.
          Sprocket Wheel
          l / Not good

l l Awesome
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

oh! let me see if i finally have this right. removing the nut at the end of the swingarm will allow for movement of the axle nut in the center of the swingarm.
            No.

Do not remove that nut at the end of the swingarm. Loosen, do not remove that nut either, just loosen the rear axle nut, then turn the nut at the end of the swingarm clockwise to tighten the chain or counterclockwise if it's too tight. Then tighten the axle nut. Then reinstall cotter pin.

i can't believe this is so complicated for me to understand.. "You don't want your rear wheel adjusted so that it is at an angle to the front sprocket." how this could occur is beyond my understanding.
            Since the the nuts at the end of the swingarm can move independantly, you can easily cock the wheel crooked, angled in relation to the front sprocket.

Like scotty said you want this:

|
            |

not

|
            \

The first line being the front sproket on the engine which is non adjustable and the second being the rear sprocket and therefore the rear wheel which is adjustable.

Here's a Youtube video of chain adjustment discription.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_5Q-pEWDk[/youtube]
            Last edited by squiggy; 10-24-2008, 09:01 PM.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Dude, if you dont have it done yet, let me know, I live in Plano too and can show you you what you need to do.

Comment

Working...
              X