No announcement yet.
X

Counting cam chain pins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats the typical end result, Tho I would first pull the cover to confirm the timing marks. If the marks are off, it crashed. Arsenic probably would have a head on hand, but would have to check the piston as well for damage.

Just giving a possibilities listing on things to look for from here on out.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I don't have a head, no tuna big engine parts, just a bunch of cylinders, but I'll probably hone a few of them for practice then scrap them. If the piston DID hit a valve, the head is shot, that piston is shot, the con rod is shot, and the crank shaft probably doesn't look good. You can tell if a piston hit a valve real easy, pull the cover off, look at the vales if the valves on one cylinder are higher then the rest it's blown. When they say "blown" they mean that.

Comment

Didn't get a chance to get out to the garage last night...Maybe tonight after beggars night and doing brakes on the cavalier...

Would the head from a '91 GSXR750 work on my Kat? I have one from the trashed spare motor I got with the bike.

I think am going to look for a bigger motor for it over the winter...If I tell the wife this one can't be fixed, I can get the tax return (some of it anyway)
        Besides, she owes me...Just bought her a new freezer and a new washer/dryer set

Comment

A simple compression check will tell you if you smashed a valve.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by ohio750kat View Post
            Would the head from a '91 GSXR750 work on my Kat? I have one from the trashed spare motor I got with the bike.
            head - no, engine - yes

Comment

It is running again.....

Finally got out to work on it last night.....I realizied every time I put it together, the cam chain was not tight on the idler gear. It would tighten up when the motor was rotated...I started thinking that was causing slack in the cam chain on the front (exhaust) side of the chain. Not sure if that is the case or not, but what I did was switch the spacers (for lack of a better word) on the idler gear. I put the thick bottom piece on the top and the thin top piece on the bottom. Not sure if you would call it the correct way to fix it, but it seems to be working. I only have 11 miles on it (6 in town/ 5 freeway), but that is a new record for this motor......I will see what happens

I am thinking a new motor is still in my future

Comment

Thats how it should look, spacers are on top of the metal tabs for the idler. Also Make sure which way the arrows pointing. In the case of the picture above, its facing the wrong way, The arrow should point to the front of the motor like this image below.
                Last edited by Newbie2it; 11-07-2008, 10:53 PM.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

* Thats how it should look, spacers are on top of the metal tabs for the idler.*

Both parts of the spacer? Mine are a 2 piece spacer...One thicker than the other.

* Also The arrow should point to the front of the motor *

It does

Comment

I beleive both were on top of the tabs on mine. Its how I returned both when I rebuilt my motor.

<<~~ Just got home from work.

Comment

Like i said, not sure how the spacers go, but it seems to be working.
                      Now I just have to fix the sidestand to stop my intermittent shutoff problem, and I should be ready to ride just in time to park it for the winter.

Comment

Two things I would suggest is a compression test (Make sure to do this with the throttle WFO) followed by a leak down test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester This will let you evaluate how much damaged might have been done when the chain slipped. Its possible to have bent a few valves and still have it run. Depends on the degree of damage, but these two simple tests will guide you in the general direction to knowing if theres more internal damage without tearing into the motor.

Comment

Working...
                        X