X

Decnt moisture filter for air compressor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decnt moisture filter for air compressor

Does anyone know of a decent moisture filter for an air compressor? I was going to get a craftsman one (since my compressor is craftsman) but the reviews for the only one at Sears suck. HF has a cheapy for $6 and I don't need anything fancy since I've got a small compressor (just big enough to run a cheap spray gun). Any suggestions?
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

I have the one from Sears. It leaks around the seal where the "chamber" attaches to the body. I mean, it does a good job for what it is... and I just turn my regulator down to 0PSI when I'm done so I loose less of the pressure in my tank when I'm not using it.

The HF one you might have to figure out how to pipe it into the line.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Try searching for an air compressor dryer.

I just drain to rusty water out of my tank once a week when I'm using it a lot. It's typically not an issue in the winter when I use it the most. Just the humid summer months.

A good dryer in your line to keep your tools dry is a good idea, but if you keep them oiled, it's not really necessary. Unless you're painting. Then it's more important to have dry air. Is that why you want a dryer?

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
        A good dryer in your line to keep your tools dry is a good idea, but if you keep them oiled, it's not really necessary. Unless you're painting. Then it's more important to have dry air. Is that why you want a dryer?
        That's the reason.

Originally posted by steves View Post
        I have the one from Sears. It leaks around the seal where the "chamber" attaches to the body. I mean, it does a good job for what it is... and I just turn my regulator down to 0PSI when I'm done so I loose less of the pressure in my tank when I'm not using it.

The HF one you might have to figure out how to pipe it into the line.
        Do you use it with a paint sprayer? As for the HF one, I'd just need to get the male-male adapter and add it into the line. It's the same as the craftsman one in terms of design.
        Last edited by brooder; 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I think what you are really getting is a coalescing filter. A drier is a refrigerated unit that really gets the water out. The $$ you spend has IMO a lot to do with;
          1 where you live (humidity levels)
          2 the quality of the air you want
          3 the volume

Since you want to spray you are using a pretty high volume and you want it really dry. So I wouldn't skimp. I would get a large one. Don't forget that it is pretty much a one time deal. Also don't forget to drain the compressor tank regularly.

Comment

Keeping your compressor tank cool helps with keeping the water in the bottom of the tank and out of your lines. Just having a window fan or something blowing over it will help.

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
              That's the reason.

Do you use it with a paint sprayer? As for the HF one, I'd just need to get the male-male adapter and add it into the line. It's the same as the craftsman one in terms of design.
              I did paint last fall with it on, and I did not have a problem.

I did charge and drain the compressor about 4 times before I started though to get it "as dry as possible"

I used an HVLP gun I bought at lowes.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

plumbing your air line correctly has a really good effect on condesation in the lines as well. I.E. if you have hard lines always run the lines on a slight downhill, and plumb in a drain at the end. Don't come off the line and go straight down, but instead come off at a "u" shape and plumb a drain at the bottom (think p trap for a sink).

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                  Don't come off the line and go straight down, but instead come off at a "u" shape and plumb a drain at the bottom (think p trap for a sink).
                  Good tip. In fact I would make an offset "T"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                    plumbing your air line correctly has a really good effect on condesation in the lines as well. I.E. if you have hard lines always run the lines on a slight downhill, and plumb in a drain at the end. Don't come off the line and go straight down, but instead come off at a "u" shape and plumb a drain at the bottom (think p trap for a sink).
                    But this is only good for hard lines, right? I'd need something for a rubber hose.
                    -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I've had good success using 2 craftsman air filters: one is directly attached to the outlet on the compressor, and the second 15' from that with another 15' of hose to the gun. Rarely if ever get any moisture in the second filter, but it's cheap insurance against any oils, dirt or vapor that escapes the first one.
                      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                        I've had good success using 2 craftsman air filters: one is directly attached to the outlet on the compressor, and the second 15' from that with another 15' of hose to the gun. Rarely if ever get any moisture in the second filter, but it's cheap insurance against any oils, dirt or vapor that escapes the first one.
                        That's not a bad idea. How do you keep the second one stationary? Or do you just let it move with the hose? The reviews I read said that it had to be vertical to work properly.
                        -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I generally prop it up against the wall and use a couple bricks to hold her in place. Guess you could even take a piece of 4x4 and cut it with a hole saw to hold the filter assembly upright.
                          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                            But this is only good for hard lines, right? I'd need something for a rubber hose.
                            I bet it could work for rubber line..
                            Like this
                            Attached Files

Comment

Don't see why not. Just need a way to keep the hose upright and plywood and brackets can do that. Thanks BP. I may have to play around a bit before I actually try spraying.

Ooo..even better. Rigid pipe for the offset T then connect the hose. Dangit. The wife is not going to be happy.
                              Last edited by brooder; 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Working...
                              X