X

HELP Very hard starting problem!! 95 GSX600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Very hard starting problem!! 95 GSX600

I have a 95 GSX600F with a very hard starting problem.

When my kat sits for more than 3-4 hours it is very hard to start. The bike will try to start when you hit the starter but will just turn over and give a little bit of exhaust. After a whole bunch of starts, it will actually begin to start but idle really rough and shut off after a few seconds of really poor running. At this time, if you try to start it again once or twice, it will start up and run fairly well. In order to keep it idling, I need to hold the throttle for a while or ride it for about a mile, after which the bike will run just fine, idle indefinitely and will turn on/off just fine for a while.

What could be causing this?

have u ever taken the bike apart at all? sounds to me like the bike has problems getting gas right away...

Comment

no, i dont know enough about bikes to really want to take it apart. but that doesnt mean it wasnt taken apart before i got it :P

Comment

pull and clean the carbs well. ONE AT A TIME, ON THE RAIL. plenty of carb cleaner and compressed air. then check all the vacuum lines and fuel lines for cracks, pinches, smashes, too sharp a bend or other blockages. pay attention to the pilot circut .and pilot jets, and the "Fuel Enrichment System" better known as the choke. check the tank vent hoses also for blockages and routing. make sure the petcock is funtioning properly
        Last edited by DumbLuck; 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
          pull and clean the carbs well. ONE AT A TIME, ON THE RAIL. plenty of carb cleaner and compressed air. then check all the vacuum lines and fuel lines for cracks, pinches, smashes, too sharp a bend or other blockages. pay attention to the pilot circut .and pilot jets, and the "Fuel Enrichment System" better known as the choke. check the tank vent hoses also for blockages and routing. make sure the petcock is funtioning properly
          This is great advice but if your not semi mechanically inclined have someone who knows whats what do it for you otherwise you may end up with more problems than before, also i am a mechanic by trade and have had similar problems with built motors ignition systems that believe it or not did the very same thing.

Comment

carefully following a Clymer, reading Carbs 101 here, and dollar to a doughnut there are a whole peck of people in Fla that would be willing to kibitz over his shoulder so he can learn to do it himself. MUCH more satisfying that way. Carbs aint that skerry as people make them out to be, just putzy
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I was just trying to help.

Comment

Just a thought , but you using the choke when the bike's cold ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If the bike sits for more than 2 hours, then its cold, i think you HAVE to use choke to get it to start. Otherwise you'll be there forever trying to start it up without using it. But i never hurts to get dirty and Learn how your bike works!!
                  Captain of Squad 11

Comment

'twas the choke.

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                      X