X

Help Please WHAT DO I NEED

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please WHAT DO I NEED

I just got me an gsxr1100 1993 engine and i want to put it on my 1998 suzuki katana gsx600f. Will the wiring harness work that is already on it or what do i need to do as far as that goes? Also, what else do I need to get to make this transaction work? Thanks A lot

From the engine swap thread:

OIL COOLERS
    Always use a 750 oil cooler with a 750, an 1100 with an 1100, etc. If you use a smaller oil cooler, like your old Kat 600 one with a 750 engine, you’ll overheat her! The oil cooler MUST match or exceed the stock one for the engine. For early model Kats, you can either use a 750 oil cooler from an early Kat in your early 600, or fab or modify some lower tabs to fit that early Kat frame. The lower mounting tabs on the 600 oil coolers are different than the early 750 ones. On the Bandit into the 02 600, I used a 750 oil cooler from a Kat, and let the bottom hang loose sort of. Bolt it tight up top and bend the cooler out a bit to clear those big pipes you’ll need!

CDI & WIRING HARNESS
    If the CDI from the new engine will plug into the existing harness on the bike, use it! If not, you may opt to change out the wiring harness, (some cases) or use the frame’s CDI (some cases). Never hurts to change out the wiring harness to a newer one (if you have an 89-97 Kat)….those old wires get fried after a lot of use. You can also switch up to a 1997 one and avoid differences – usually much less wear & tear. Be careful about using ANY wiring harness other than a Katana one. Think of it this way: Your wiring harness does not know what engine it’s mated up with – it will still work like a Kat engine! On 98+ wiring harnesses, don’t’ worry about the TPS for those newer carbs.

CARBURETORS
    I tend to think you always have to use the carbs that are with the engine. One exception to this I’ve found: When switching a 98+ Kat engine into a early Kat, I use the early Kat’s carbs, as the 98+ carbs have to have that TPS to work right! The pre 98 wiring harnesses don’t have it!

EXHAUSTS
    Always must use a system matched to the engine. On the Bandit 1200, I’ve used a system from a GSXR 1100, but I had to heat tape the pipes to keep them from burning through the plastic! Also, I had to carve out the bell pans AND the inner fairing pieces to allow clearance. None of this shows,though.

ALTERNATORS
    I like to use the alternator that goes with the wiring harness. I don’t like to try & force an old system to deal with a new or different output. Stay with the plug type, too! On the 1200 Bandit engine into a Kat, you have to change out the actual drive gear on the alternator after you remove the both. Tough, but doable!

SPROCKETS & CHAIN
    Now is a REALLY good time to change out that front sprocket. Might as well change the rear one too, and how about that chain? Hate to screw up a good transplant with a used chain. Saved $100 and ruined a good upgrade? No thanks, pass me that new chain please!
    Be careful to use the correct tooth count. Putting a 750 engine into a 600? I like to use the newer stock 750 set up of 14/47.
    When I put a Bandit 1200 into a 600 Kat, I go UP a tooth in front, and here’s why: The Bandit is a REALLY STRONG low end torque engine, ie: plenty of low end power, but known to sort of run out of legs on the top end. I solved this by going up a tooth in the front and DOWN to a 45 in the rear! Still has all the low end power you’ll ever need, and now has TONS of top end! WELL OVER 150 MPH.

SWING ARMS
    I really like to use the 750 ones……that extra 1-1/2” is well worth the swap out time and expense, especially if you are going to install an 1100 or 1200 engine – you’ll need the extra swing arm! Grease those bearing points (ALL of them) real good. Make sure they are all loose inside and freely spinning or replace them! Don’t forget to lay the chain over the swing arm BEFORE you install it if you are using a stock chain as they have no master link!

OTHER
    VENT BOX
    On the Bandit 1200 into a 2002 600 , the rectangular vent box that handles the blow off or blow by excess air and fumes, (usually goes into the airbox to be recirculated), located directly on top of the head: This will need to be changed out to a lower model, like the 89-97 ones. Bolts right on in place, but will need to be routed out a bit to allow correct air flow. Also, you will have to carve out the cross member that supports the tank. I cut about the lower ½ out for the width of this vent box.

AIR BOX
    I almost always use the airbox on the Kats, as it sort of acts like a little miniature version of a turbine as it re-circulates the spent fumes from the top head vent box back thru the carbs! Fuel enriched air! I have used K&N air pod filters with a vent filter for the vent box. I like them, but only for the really higher performance motors: Motors that have had some work done to them. In the case of the 1200, I went with pods to avoid having to deal with whether the air box would fit or not, plus I wanted to extra performance of the pods in conjunction with the jet kit and the exhaust set up I’m using.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I was told that the bolt may be 10mm on my bike and the bolt pattern is 12mm on the 1100 motor. How hard is it to put it in yourself because I can't find no dealership to do it since it is a different motor size. I could use any advice that anyone can give me.

Comment

If it is indeed a 1993 GSX-R1100 motor, my advice would be to put it on ebay. The 93 Gixxer's were water cooled.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

uh oh
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
          X