X

Clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch

I might not be the easiest on clutches but it seems everytime i change the oil the clutch starts slipping. Anyones else have this issue or am i just kickin it too hard.
    ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

What type of oil do you use? Hopefully nothing like Slick 50 Yikes!
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I used the Suzuki oil once, some synth once and then what ever the motorcycle shop put in it. Not really sure. I was just at the gap running 2nd and 3rd most of the time. Might just be me

Comment

keep the same kind in it. Suzuki oil sucks by the way.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Ok i adjusted my clutch cable so that it has a lot of play in it and it still slips. This will be the third clutch I will put in the bike. It only has 12k miles. So either i am way to hard on the clutch or there is something really wrong.

Comment

Buy new springs, they might be weak. Another thought, did you replace the steel plates too or just the fibers? If your steels are bad or even glazed, the new fibers won't last.
            Last edited by kevin2502000; 10-13-2008, 10:11 PM.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Just 'cause you got play in the lever don't mean you got play in the clutch.Take the plug out of the sprocket cover and you'll see a screw and a nut (12MM if I remember right) bust the nut loose, then use a screwdriver to adjust the screw. Back it out a turn or two, then screw it in slowly till you feel it tighten a little. This is the point where all play is eliminated. unscrew it 1/2 turn and tighten the nut. You may have to unscrew it a little more than 1/2 if you only have a socket to tighten it, because the screw will turn in some too. Then adjust your lever and try it. Good luck!
              1996 600 Bandit
              1955 HD Pan/Shovel
              1971 HD Superglide
              1987 1100 Sportster

Comment

You've gone through three CLUTCHES already? You are either...

1.) completely confused about how to drive
                2.) a drag racer
                3.) confusing clutch with clutch cables (3 in 12k miles is still ridiculous)

Whats going on here bud?
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I agree. That is why i am asking.

Comment

There has to be something seriously wrong with your bike if you've replaced three clutches. Slipping can be due to a maladjusted cable or using the wrong type of oil, one with those stupid friction modifiers in it not designed for a wet clutch motorcycle. You must just be way out of adjustment...

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Follow this and report back, if it doesn't work, then things are a bit more serious.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

how many R's are ya windin when you start to let out the clutch from a complete stop? if you're winding it up over, say, 3k and riding the clutch away from the stop it's gonna toast the clutch plates soonly.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

If the cable has lots of play and it still slips the push rod likely needs proper adjustment...
                        back off the lock nut, turn the adjuster OUT a couple turns, then turn it in clockwise until you fell resistance then back it off 1/3 of a turn.
                        tighten the lock nut up again holding the adjuster from turning.

Then adjust the cable free play
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I have adjusted the clutch. Today i ordered new steel rings, friction plates, springs and bolts. Maybe i will get 5k out of this one. I ride it like a GSX-R. maybe that is why it slips.

Comment

No, it will wear down if you try to LAUNCH it like a gsxr, in which case you should have bought one instead...5k miles out of a clutch is laughable dude, I really think you dont realize how bad that is. If it's because of your driving then you need to get off the bike and learn how to ride before you do more damage.

Comment

Well the last clutch i put in was an EBC. I bought a stok one this time. Like I said, The first clutch was due to the drag strip... The other one I have had for quit some time.

Comment

Working...
                              X