X

Help with front fork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with front fork

Hey, I've got a 94 Kat 600 and I'm trying to change my fork seals, but I can't get the allen bolts on the bottom of the forks out. If anybody could give me some tips on how to get them out it would be great.
    Thanks

Those things are locktited in from the factory and when they are replaced, they need to be thread locked again. Best way to get them out is to use an impact wrench.
    Some people carry on
    Some just stay right where they are
    Our worlds divide

Comment

One of mine stripped. An easy-out is an option. It didn't work for me. Some gorilla put mine in last time.

Personally I used a drill bit just larger than the threaded portion of the bolt. I very carefully drilled through the head. (the allen head guides the drill) Drill slow, when you get past the head it will pop off. There is a crush washer under the head, it should keep the drill from hitting the shock body. With the bolt head off you will be able to pull the shock apart. Just use some vise grips to get the rest of the bolt out.

Comment

yeah i pretty much stripped one of mine, figured i would have to drill it out, just thought i would see if there were any other options, unfortunately i don't have an impact wrench at my disposal...thanks alot guys guess i'll go drill that out now and hopefully get my bike riding again

Comment

Get something that fits it right, and bang on it with a hammer.... and a cheater bar too.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I just drilled mine with a 3/8 bit, took like 45 seconds per side.

Comment

Working...
            X