X

bike wont start 94 kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont start 94 kat 600

last thursday i rode my bike to work and back ,it ran great. friday it rained all day and my bike sat outside in the rain all day. saturday morning i got on the bike started it up it kinda ran but not to great anyhow i rode it around the block and it seemed to be missing so i went home parked it in the garage and it stalled , hasnt run since ! i have all the plastic off looking at the wiring , it seems to be getting fuel cuz the plugs are wet , i crank it with a plug out to check spark and it doesnt seem to be gettin good spark,what can i look to see why it isnt gettin good spark, 94 kat 600
    BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

1) Check resistance on your coils. Should be good but this is just a sanity check.
    2) While cranking, check voltage going to the coils. You can pull the plug back enough to expose some of the male spade on the coil. Your multimeter should go from zero to some kV number while cranking. If you aren't getting voltage to the coils, the CDI could be bad.
    3) Also check voltage at the battery while you're cranking. It could be that your battery is not so good anymore and chose this weekend to crap out. If it drops below 10 or 11 volts while cranking, that's not enough voltage to run the CDI and it won't spark.

I downloaded the pre manual that someone posted a link to here, and it has some really good full color wiring diagrams in it. If you just start out at the spark plugs and work your way back you should be able run it down.

Obviously, the rain can get things wet and screw things up that way, so I would check all the connections and grease them up with di-electric grease, and check the fuses too.

Comment

I had the same problem with my 94' 600. I pulled my tank and set it to the side yet still attached. Then I started the bike and listened to how it was missing. then I pulled the first plug wire and started it again and it ran worse so I reattached that wire and moved to the next the same happened. So I moved to the third and when I started it, it sounded as it did with all wires attached. Turns out there was water down in the plug shaft. I ended up grabbing this super absorbant chamois that I have and stuffed it down there before I removed the plug. Then needless to say I replaced the plug with a new one and BANG, Problem solved and it ran great. I found that the boot that keeps the moisture out of the plug shaft wasn't sitting in the groove exactly right so make sure that boot is snapped in there completely. I have left my bike in the rain more times than I can count since then and have had no problems. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by fenixpride; 09-22-2008, 09:57 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

FenixPride,

Next time you do any work on your bike. take an air hose and blow out the spark plug wells.. theres actually a drain hole that lets water out from each cylinder well. It drips forward towards the header. You might also try blowing air in from that direction to be sure there are not any obstructions driven in by blowing the wells out from above.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I put new plugs in it last night and eventually it started, it runs (poorly i might add ) for about 30 seconds then shuts off, i checked the new plugs and #1 is white yet #s 2,3 and 4 are black and wet , do u think carbs? or is it just flooded out . i hae the plugs out right now and am letting it air out all day while i am at work, oh and while i was cranking trying to get it to start it backfired a few times really loud not just a poof a loud bang

Comment

can anyone help me find a service manual or something to help me diagnose this problem ? or even someone in the central pa area that i can take the bike to other than a stealership?

Comment

Did u check for spark on all the plugs? If you did flood it, it takes awhile to let it run out. Get it started and let it run a few minutes and see if you hear the other cylinders kick in.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Check out this thread to download a manual.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

Working...
                X