Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Carb Issue - Pilot Jet screw is stripped!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Issue - Pilot Jet screw is stripped!

I removed my carb and removed pretty much every part. Except one of the pilot jet screw is completely stripped and I cannot remove it. Any ideas on removing it? What issues am I going to have if I cannot remove it and clean it?

Thanks.

I am not referring to the pilot screw but the pilot jet. Thanks.
    Last edited by mohawk; 09-14-2008, 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, you have to get it out. It's fubar now. The only thing I can suggest is a very small easy out. Take it to a machine shop if you know anyone that works at one.

issue: the carb with the damaged orifice won't run at idle.

Comment

Doesn't the pilot jet have a shoulder on it- it sticks up a bit more than the metal it is screwed into? It's made of brass, right?

Get the needle-nose-iest pair of vice grip pliars, and lock them onto it. That often works for me when nothing else will.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

If it's the pilot jet, it's recessed down about an inch. They do strip easily that's why you have to have an exact fitting screwdriver. If it were me, I would dump seafoam in each tube and thet it soak awhile then clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air. Doesn't cost anything but time.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I think we're referring to the idle mixture screw which often gets called by the wrong name (pilot screw). It gets it fuel flow thru the pilot circuit but only meters closed throttle mixture.
          As to getting it out your almost screwed (excuse the pun). As was suggested, drilling and an easy out MIGHT get it out.

Comment

I am not referring to the pilot screw but the pilot jet. Thanks.[/quote]

This is the one inside the bowl under the rubber plug on the pre's. The adjustment screw is aluminum and u can get a decent bite on it, it's the brass jet that breaks off the lip.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
              I am not referring to the pilot screw but the pilot jet. Thanks.

This is the one inside the bowl under the rubber plug on the pre's. The adjustment screw is aluminum and u can get a decent bite on it, it's the brass jet that breaks off the lip.[/quote]

Yup. The pilot jet. Thanks. I will try seafoam. I am not going to mess it up more.

Thanks.

Comment

For the pilot Jet, you can get an easy out and use it to remove the pilot. The easy out will not bottom out in the jet before it has a chance to bite. I had to remove a few via this method. BTW, just get a new pilot from the dealer or online instead of putting the old one back after removing via this method. Reason being is the brass you stripped off trying to remove it with the screwdrivers problably blocking the pilot anyhow and seafoam wont cure that.
                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Has anyone tried just drilling through the pilot jet? Will that work? I have a drill press. I will try easyout first today but just wanted to find out if anybody has drilled that sucker.

Comment

lefthand drill bits
                    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Ok.. If you are contemplating drilling through the pilot, then I'd suggest you stop.. Breath and reassess what you want to achieve and where you need to go from there. Theres no reason to drill through it. It wont achieve anything other then a larger hole. But Hey, Its your bike, So do as you want/feel/need to do. Tho I'd still suggest an easy out, or as sin mentioned... A left hand drill bit, which is an easy out in disguise.
                      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Thanks. Yup, no drilling out. I will be using an easy out most probably. Yesterday, I bought one but not sure about the quality - it was a black and decker one. I need to find something better. But I am still scared about doing this.

Ok. If i screw it up, is it even possible to buy just the 3rd carb module?

Comment

Probably cheaper to buy a complete set really off ebay or someone from here. Take it to a machine shop and let them look at it.

Comment

Had the same exact issue. Used an easyout and it worked great.

Comment

Thanks, y'all. Came out very easily with easyout. Luckily, I had a set of easyout sitting with my tools. I knew I had bought that a while ago. You guyz are the best. And now onto cleaning the carb.

Comment

Working...
                              X