X

Clutch not engaging

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch not engaging

I have a 94 katana 600 and I recently had to change the little part that the bottom of the clutch cable hooks on to. I have adjusted the screw from the outside of the casing to ensure that it is pushing the pin that engages the clutch but to no avail. The clutch is still not engaging at all. I've tried adjusting the clutch cable at the lever and at the sproket cover. I can't figure out what's going on. The clutch was working just fine before the ear that holds the bottom end of the cable broke. Please help!!!! I really want to ride again before it gets too cold.....

Have a look at the attached .. could be one of the push rods let go when the cable snapped .. ?? This is for the 750, but I think they're bascially the same anyway aren't they?
    Attached Files
    2008 ZZR 600 (His)
    Black
    Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
    Red
    Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

make sure #22 and #23 are there and in correctly.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Do you mean the clutch isn't engaging as you said, or are you describing the clutch not disengaging as your post seems to imply?

Comment

Now that you mention it Greg, I'm a little confused on that one myself. I just read it as he couldn't get the bike to move, but perhaps it's not that at all, since the lever acts to push the pin to disengage from what I can see of the fische .. am I right?
          2008 ZZR 600 (His)
          Black
          Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
          Red

Comment

When you pull the clutch handle it moves the assembly outward, pushing the rods inward into the motor to disengage the clutch.

I'm betting he didnt adjust the clutch correctly.

Follow the how to here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698

Where it says about the resistance... Seat the screw till you feel light resistance. Not High resistance, then back it off 1/4 turn.
            Last edited by Newbie2it; 09-15-2008, 12:45 AM.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Sorry about any confusion with my description. Lets see if I can explain it a little better. I had to replace the worm gear because the ear that the bottom of the clutch cable slips into broke. After I replaced it and the clutch cable I attempted to adjust the cable the best I could according to the HOW TO instructions. The resistance on the lever when I pulled it felt good so I decided to start the bike and see what happened. After I started the bike in neutral I pulled the clutch and put it in 1st gear and when I did the bike jumped foward as if I had no clutch. I would interperet this as the clutch not engaging. Maybe I'm wrong. But I now have a new problem. I was so frustrated with this that I was going to attempt to hard shift it all the way to the local shop and have them adjust it or tell me something else was wrong. When I attempted to start it in first and let the bike roll as I did so, it seemed as if the clutch was engaged and wouldn't disengage cause I when I started it the bike didn't lunge foward at all and wouldn't go any where. So in neutral it lunges when put in gear with the clutch pulled and in first it starts with out moving at all....
              Last edited by fenixpride; 09-15-2008, 05:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Definitely not adjusted right. Sounds overly adjusted to me. If you have the patience make sure it's put back together correctly with a manual and then re adjust it. Remember the lever should still have play in it before you adjust it there.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

fenixpride,

What you are discribing is actually that the clutch is not disengaging. That's what pulling the lever does, disengages the clutch from the engine. Looks like you may have to start over again and make sure it's all put back together correctly . something definitely out of adjustment or not assembled correctly. Good luck!
                  2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                  Black
                  Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                  Red

Comment

Thanks everybody for the help. I have it all worked out now. Just came down to alot of trial and error to solve the issue. I have one more question that maybe someone could help me with. I bought the bike under the impression that it was a 600 due to the title and what the owner knew. I have taken a few rides with some pretty experienced riders whose bikes are alot bigger than mine e.g. GSXR 1000 and CBR 900. They seem to think that because of the bikes performance that there is no way that it is a 600. Is there any way to visually determine the size of the engine because I have been told that putting a 750 into a 600 frame is possible and I think this might be the case.

Comment

Glad you got your clutch not disengaging issues sorted How many grey hairs did that set you back! As for the engine - there's usually a stamped area on the engine block indicating a number of the exact engine capacity :
                      a 600 would be labelled as a 598 cc (give or take a cc), a 750, usually 749cc.

Or ... you could find it states 599cc on the block, but that the motor was tweaked in one or several ways : bigger pistons / different cams / ported head ... which won't be obvious without opening her up. Either way, sounds like u got a nice machine there .. but we can't tell ... without pictures !

Comment

Working...
                      X