X

Clicking in low gears at low rpms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking in low gears at low rpms

When I hit the throttle in first, second, and third gear at low rpms, I am hearing a clicking sound. I have a 2002 katana 600 with 11,000 miles. I have meticulously maintained it and have only recently been noticing it. It does not seem to be taking away from the power or performance of the bike, but i am wondering if it could possibly be something worse. I have noticed my chain has a little too much slack, and I am due for some valve adjustments and chain tensioning. Could any of the mentioned be the problem? If not what could be? Thanks for any help recieved

I would guess that its time for a valve adjustment. Alternatively it could be that your chain is just shot and is hooking on your sprocket.

Comment

stretched chain, get a new one immediately
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Before you go getting a new chain, throw it on the center stand, and make sure the bike is in neutral (with the engine off). Get to the rear tires level, and turn it by hand to see if the sounds is coming from the chain binding on the rear sprocket. If it is, you will also need to replace both front and rear sprocket along with the chain. Reason being the chain will wear the teeth of the sprocket from the binding, and by just throwing a chain on there, you won't get near the life out of it. Also inspect the chain to make sure all the rollers are intact on the chain.

Valves sound more like a "Clatter" than anything.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Take the bike out get it up to speed and shut the engine off and coast for a while...
          do you feel a vibration and hear the clicking? if so you are in need of a new chain/sprockets. it only takes on bad link in the chain to cause a major binding spot and the start of a really bad day.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I once had a roller come off of a link of the chain. Only in lower speeds (first couple gears) could I really hear it.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Perfect, i figured it had something to do with the chain, thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
              X