Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can you push start a bike without a battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on pavement 2nd should work, dirt might take 3rd to keep from locking the rear tire depending on sprocket ratios.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

2nd gear wil start it with a little speed behind it
      It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Alright, just got back. I couldn't get it started. We tried two guys pushing and 2nd gear, and although the engine would spin, it wouldn't catch. It's weird. I'm wondering, the bike has been sitting for 3 months. Is it possible the sparkplug is fouled? I can smell gas. Also, which way should the gas dial (bad verbiage I know) be pointing? I had it pointed up (towards the gas tank) but the guy insisted on sideways. I don't know much about this bike, so I'm lost.

Comment

well, considering it doesn't point up, you should look into that

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            well, considering it doesn't point up, you should look into that
            I don't follow. It's a knob on the left side of the gas tank that has an arrow on it. It either points up towards the tank or back towards the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyWash1 View Post
              I don't follow. It's a knob on the left side of the gas tank that has an arrow on it. It either points up towards the tank or back towards the rear.
              A Kat's petcock points to 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.......3 (PRI) is for when the bikes been laid up for a long time and you want fuel to go directly into the carbs.....6 is where it should be ALL the time....and 9 is your Reserve. You may want to check your petcock.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I just had to replace the battery on my Mazda Protege5. Being a cheap bastege, I squeezed every last day out of the old battery- until the very end, I could roll down my driveway and clutch start it. But once the battery got so bad even the radio preset memory went, the car would not start. I believe that at least a little voltage is needed to get the systems to at least "open one sleepy eye." I know, Kats have carbs, but they also have ECM ignitions- with 0 voltage available (eitehr because of a TOTALLY dead battery, or no battery,) it is quite possible that nothing at all is happening there, thus no start.
                Last edited by StevieB; 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM.
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I've never really looked into car electrics that far. Is it possible I wonder that the alternator on the car is not a self-exciter and therfore requires a little DC to create the magnetic field so the rotating coil can generate ?? Would make sense since they are rather compact, and a self-exciting generator tends to have more bulk due to the permanent magnets.
                  2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                  Black
                  Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                  Red
                  Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

most CDI systems on bikes wont fire the coils without at least 10 volts. (dead batterys can have volts but no amps) I cant push start my '80 Kawi 750LTD with a dead battery, the CDI just wont fire.

On older systems you will fry the windings on the stator plate, the regulator, and/or rectifier (or all 3) by running a skoot with a dead battery or no battery. Even magnito systems (designed for lights) will toast components without at least a dead battery in them unless designed to ONLY run the motor. IE: off road dirt bike use only. If it's an enduro with lights, keep the battery in the system even if it's dead, or it cant shed the extra voltage properly that the mag throws up. you still may fry components tho.

btw, your petcock knob is on upside down, or the petcock is assembled incorrectly.
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      A Kat's petcock points to 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.......3 (PRI) is for when the bikes been laid up for a long time and you want fuel to go directly into the carbs.....6 is where it should be ALL the time....and 9 is your Reserve. You may want to check your petcock.
                      Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                      most CDI systems on bikes wont fire the coils without at least 10 volts. (dead batterys can have volts but no amps) I cant push start my '80 Kawi 750LTD with a dead battery, the CDI just wont fire.

On older systems you will fry the windings on the stator plate, the regulator, and/or rectifier (or all 3) by running a skoot with a dead battery or no battery. Even magnito systems (designed for lights) will toast components without at least a dead battery in them unless designed to ONLY run the motor. IE: off road dirt bike use only. If it's an enduro with lights, keep the battery in the system even if it's dead, or it cant shed the extra voltage properly that the mag throws up. you still may fry components tho.

btw, your petcock knob is on upside down, or the petcock is assembled incorrectly.

Thanks gents, I'll look into this. I don't know much about working on carb systems, but I'm sure I can learn with your help.

Comment

i still had my battery in when i had to push start my bike in Sanfransisco all the way home. 2nd gear works well for push starts. as far as carbs.... look up carbs 101 and get a haynes or clymers manual.
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

on the hill thing... its only easier going downhill.

in case you were wondering. uphill is way harder.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukifan View Post
                            on the hill thing... its only easier going downhill.

in case you were wondering. uphill is way harder.
                            i thought that was obvious but ok
                            1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                            1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                            Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Bike would not start one day so I push started it fired right up! But only made it up the road about 200 yards bike shut off. Lucky I was going up hill turned around and coasted back home charged the battery and fired right up. You can push start a bike but only for like a bad starter not a dead battery.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyWash1 View Post
                                What is this in response to?

And am I correct in assuming the overwhelming answer is no, the bike will not start without a battery?
                                YES

Actually there are some bikes that will run without a battery but they are very few and most are off road bikes where there is no or very little electrical draw other then the ignition. 99.9 of most road bikes need to have at least a dead battery in there with 10-11 volts. Without that the lights will draw and the ignition will starve for power.

I recommend if anyone has a dead battery and needs to push start thier bike, they at least remove all the lighting fuses or unplug the lights so there is as little electrical draw as possible. Not only will this allow your bike to run with a very low battery but it will also save your alternator/generator.
                                These charging systems are designed only to keep a charged battery fully charged, not charge a dead battery... If you run it with a bad battery or dead battery that extra load will shorten the life of the charging system. Simply remove the lighting fuses, then as soon as possible put it on a slow trickle charge to allow the battery to recover.
                                Rememeber most standard acid type motorcycle and auto batteries will not fully recover with a quick charge.
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                                X