X

Stripped valve cover threads *facedesk*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped valve cover threads *facedesk*

On the screw hole just above the intake valves on cyl #1. It was the last screw we put in, turned it, and it kept turning and turning.

This is on the '99 Kat 750 I'm rebuilding.

The screw hole was in a camshaft bearing retainer cover, on the top. So I really don't want to take it out if I don't have to.

It looks like the best way to repair it is using a Helicoil repair kit. It's my first time doing this sort of thing, so I'd like to hear about what the general experience is like, and whether Helicoil is even the way to go.

Many thanks

I'd imagine a helicoil would work fine......... they don't need to take a lot of torque. But really, take the cam cap off and work on it away from the motor. Nobody likes metal shavings in their oil!
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

it's a M7 x 1.00 helicoil. You use a 9/32" drill bit it's not hard. However if you try to do it without taking the cap off, that's hard.

Comment

Make sure if you use a heli-coil or perma-coil that you break that tab off at the bottom and remove it before putting it back together.

Tmod

Comment

yeah, that very clear in the instructions, they mean that. And ya, I have perma-coil set, I couldn't find a heli-coil kit.

Comment

Perma-coil, I will look for that. M7x1.00, that saves me a bunch of time! And I'll be sure to take the piece off before drilling it out. Thanks very much all!

Comment

you don't take that piece off before you drill it out. Do you have any idea how those work? You install the heli-coil (using the tang) and then break the tang off when it's in. I have the cam cap you need BTW, just tell me the letter and the shape on it, $25 total and you'll have it.
              Last edited by arsenic; 09-01-2008, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                you don't take that piece off before you drill it out. Do you have any idea how those work? You install the heli-coil (using the tang) and then break the tang off when it's in. I have the cam cap you need BTW, just tell me the letter and the shape on it, $25 total and you'll have it.
                I think he means the cam cap.

Tmod

Comment

ok, that makes sense Yeah, take that off

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    you don't take that piece off before you drill it out. Do you have any idea how those work? You install the heli-coil (using the tang) and then break the tang off when it's in.
                    Right, I meant take the cam cap off before drilling out the hole. It looked like that little tang on the coil may need to stay on for the installation, since the tool that screws in the coil appears smaller than the actual coil. Dunno yet, I haven't read the instructions

Incidentally, the procedure to remove the cam caps also has me resetting the cam chain tensioner, which doesn't look too bad. I'll need to unscrew all of the cam caps a little at a time to avoid breaking the camshaft too.

I feel a bit like I'm being sucked down the rabbit hole into Wonderland. Not that I mind adventuring inside a 750cc four cylinder, it's just a little more work than I thought.

Thank you again

Comment

If you want to go completely overboard, you can also repair threads this one of these guys.

Key lock inserts. Very nice...

Comment

Or my favorite.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSyfY1VLtU&eurl=http://www.timesert.com/html/install.html[/YOUTUBE]

Tmod

Comment

no youtube at work...

Comment

Working...
                          X