????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ????

sup everyone,

I am going to adjust valves on my 94 600, so I hear its shims? I don't understand maybe somebody can explain what I will need to adjust these valves. I adjusted the valves on my 4 stroke 125 it was just a nut to tighten or loosen so shims I have no clue. Thank You

A manual would tell you how to do this. Basically, from what I understand in the manual, you measure them. If they are ok, do nothing. If you need to adjust them then you have to change the shims. There is a chart in the manual that tells you what size shim you need to have the right clearance.

Comment

Right on makes sense....

Oh yea these shims where can I get some I checked ebay for katana valve shims none?
      Last edited by 1994gsx600f; 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

good luck a master set of valve shims is over $400 dollars. You can get just single shims from the dealer which won't be a lot, but you better be ABSOLUTLY sure measurements are right.

Comment

i think Dennis Kirk or Bike Bandit sells them. The single sets are pretty inexpensive. But like Arsenic said you'd want to make absolute sure which ones you need. Be an annoying pain to order the wrong ones.

Comment

Ok guys, sorry but how will I know what size to order?

Comment

I bought a full set of shims from Hot Cams for about $80.

Check ebay as well.

I actually bought mine through the dealership and they were $79.

And with the number of shims I needed, it was def cheaper to buy the full set. And I have the new and old ones for the next time.
              Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Right on great deal ! Do I need any special tool?

Comment

There are some special tools, but it can be done without them. I used a magnet probe to pull them and to seat them. One thing I would do is make sure you plug all the oil holes BEFORE you start. I did mine in about 3-4 hours.
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Comment

FYI - I have done my own valve adjustments on my GS850 with shims and I understood it is extremely important NOT to use any magnetic tools around the shims as they become slightly magnetized and will collect crud and prematurely wear out your cam.

Just trying to help, oh yeah, and it's a pain in the *ss without a magnet.

J

Comment

Working...
                      X