X

I need your help! Anybody! Somebody!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your help! Anybody! Somebody!

Hi out there! I have a '92 Kat 750 that sat for about 3 years while I was going through a frikkin' divorce. It is my baby. Prior to it sitting it wasn't running right. This year I took it to a trusted mechanic who replaced a coil, spark plugs, installed 2 fuel filters, and cleaned the carbs. It was then running but sometimes would stop running like it was "running out of gas." The trusted mechanic didn't know what else to do to it so I took it to Honda of Winston Salem (I am not too happy with them BTW but thats another story.) and paid them nearly $800 to go through my carbs. They cleaned them (again), installed new float bowl seals, & new needle jets. They said the old ones were worn oval. Now my bike runs & is rideable but at W.O.T. is hesitates & has no power. It also hesitates and throttle is not not smooth around 70-75 mph. PLEASE HELP!! I do not want to take it back to them, I have totally lost trust & given them WAY too much $$$!! I have a K&N filter using the large donut, full D&D exhaust, & Dynojet kit with pistons on 3rd slot. My mixture screws are 3.5 turns out. If someone could help me I would be VERY happy!! I want my Kat back the way it used to be!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

High speed issues like the one you describe, per he manual, are normally caused from:

a. fouled or improperly gapped spark plugs
    b. improper ignition timing (faulty component in the system)
    c. improper carburetor main jet selection
    d. clogged jets (which I sure hope isn't the case since you've had the carbs cleaned twice)
    e. weak igntion coil
    1997 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Ditch the fuel filters dude. Pres dont have them for a reason. They dont flow properly if they are not nearly vertical, which is next to impossible on a Pre. I've ran into this many times in the past, both on my own Kat and others. Some are gonna rip on ya on the K & N and probably the same ripping will tell you Dynojets suck.

Since its a 92 750, mines a 93 750, I'd suggest try using the smaller donut first. See how the bike reacts. Make sure you have the correct Jet size for your set up, you should have the DJ Stage 1/3 kit that has the whole slew of jet sizes. If not, let me know, I'll see which ones I have here for the setup. But I would seriously consider loosing the filters as a first step before anything else is attempted.

Why do you have the filters to begin with? If you have rust in the tank, You need to address that either way. The rust will still get thru the filters.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
        Ditch the fuel filters dude. Pres dont have them for a reason. They dont flow properly if they are not nearly vertical, which is next to impossible on a Pre.
        I couldn't agree more. I had the exact same problem.... Replaced the fuel line, ditched the filters, and all was good instantly.
        94 600 With a GSX-R 1100 engine. Stretched, lowered. Air shifter, Nitrous, Who knows what next...

Comment

Thanks guys. I have the filters because there was some rust in the bottom of the tank. I will now loose them and try the smaller donut. I checked my main jets, they are all open. I am running the DJ130 jets as per the Dynojet instructions. My Kat runs awesome when it's good, hopefully this will do the trick and it will be back to that. I really appreciate the replies and welcome all of them. THANKS!!! Katanas RULE!! X)
          'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
          ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
          ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

GimmeFuel,

Word of caution here....

You just said you have an issue with rust in the tank. Before you totally ditch the filters.. Fix the tank. The craps eventually going to go into the carbs. Por-15, albeit expensive, will solve the problem. Don't use Kreem since it doesn't hold up well with the higher ethanol. Address the rust, then deal with the filters. But take each step separately and a little bit over time so you can ID changes for the plus or the minus.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              GimmeFuel,

Word of caution here....

You just said you have an issue with rust in the tank. Before you totally ditch the filters.. Fix the tank. The craps eventually going to go into the carbs. Por-15, albeit expensive, will solve the problem. Don't use Kreem since it doesn't hold up well with the higher ethanol. Address the rust, then deal with the filters. But take each step separately and a little bit over time so you can ID changes for the plus or the minus.
              Fix da' rust first. If it's just a bit of surface rust - not a big mess of flakey, nasty shiate at the bottom of your tank - you may not even need to POR-15 or Kreem the tank. You could just MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) it to clean it up well. Or, take the tank to a radiator shop and see if they'll line the tank (will cost you about $100).
              "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Fix the TANK
                remove the petcock and clean the filter in the tank. Then properly seal the tank with POR15

Incorrect fuel filters can be a huge flow restriction.
                Replace them with OEM filters if they are aftermarket ones.

I would also look into rebuilding the petcock
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

AND ALL IN ALL DYNOJET KITS ALL SUCK BIG FLOPPY DONKEY D**K!!! i used dynojet goin against my better judgement and yep should listened to myself then i took it to a guy he put a FACTORY PRO jet kit in and now im lovin it!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X