Clutch is a beast to pull. Any tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch is a beast to pull. Any tips?

Hey guys,
    Just got back from a month of Army training, and it took me 1.34 seconds to drop my bags at the front door and be out on my Kat. One thing I've been meaning to post on here is that my clutch lever is really, really hard to pull. I've lubed it up with a few drops of silicone lube, and nothing. I mean, I can pull it with only one hand, but I have callous' on my middle finger from it, and after a few decent rides, I seriously get what feels like tennis elbow from straining that hard. Anyone have any ideas what to check? It's kind of frustrating. Thanks!
    JK

replace the cable?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

loudnlow,
      I thought of that as a possibility, but I wasn't sure that it was for sure the problem. Is there any way to test for a cable that is binding?
      JK

Comment

To check for binding you'll want to pull the tank, and left side plastic and follow the cable down it's routing on the bike.

Depending on the age of the bike, and storage conditions... there may be rust on the inside of the cable, and potentially even some rust through.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Had some of the same issues, but i lubed/adjusted the old it eased up a bit but I still ended up replacing/adjusting the new cable. all is much better now. good luck and welcome back

Comment

ttt

i had the same problem replaced the cable works great 14.95 at the dealer

Comment

Well, bananas. If it's only 15 bucks, I'm not looking at a real expensive piece, am I? I guess it's to the dealer for a replacement. Timeline for repairs anyone? 1 hour? Two?
              JK

Comment

buy a cabel luber tool and lube it with some cable spray.
                i have never heard of anyone that cleans and lubricates thier cables often complain about a stiff or broken cable.

I clean my cables once a month with a cable luber tool and brake cleaner. After it has sat a while to let the cleaner evaporate. I lube it with a "cable life" spray
                both are available from any bike shop.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  buy a cabel luber tool and lube it with some cable spray.
                  i have never heard of anyone that cleans and lubricates thier cables often complain about a stiff or broken cable.

I clean my cables once a month with a cable luber tool and brake cleaner. After it has sat a while to let the cleaner evaporate. I lube it with a "cable life" spray
                  both are available from any bike shop.
                  Seems like a lot of trouble to possibly extend the life of your $12 cable, doesn't it?
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

New cable!! I lived with that for about a year. Best $15 I spent on the bike(95-600).
                    sigpic

RIP CP
                    50th Anniv R6
                    95 Katana 600
                    http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Working...
                    X