X

Worn intake boot o-rings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
    holy suckage Batman! how did you manage that one????
    Just everyday wear.

Originally posted by greencupbay View Post
    Anyway, I was really wondering if the boots for all Kats are the same (lots changed in 98). What year boots should I get? (the older years are cheaper on e-bay)
    The boots and O-rings are different between the 98+ 600 & 750 engines, so say Ron Ayers. Different size carbs.

For the 98+, the boots only fit the 600 or 750, not both. The boots are specific to it's side. Meaning, the 2 left only fit the left. And the 2 right only fit the right. The part numbers are specific to those sides.

The O-rings on the pre Kats are the same between the 600 & 750, according to Ron Ayers, but the boots are specific to each engine size. And, each boot has it's own part number.

All this info is from Ron Ayers site.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks so much squiggy. It has been a while since I have been able to get onto this website, let alone work on my bike. That is all I needed to know. BTW, I really like the Mystery Science Theater logo!

Comment

never seal up intake leaks with a silicone sealant (RTV)

There are special sealants for it that are gas and oil proof and for High heat.
        But there is never a need for it and they should not be used to correct a damaged seal. Change the o-rings
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by greencupbay View Post
          BTW, I really like the Mystery Science Theater logo!
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yet another thing to check as mine takes a while to fire up at the time being

Comment

This will be one of the first things i check in the spring when getting the bike back on the road - the idle has always been a bit stupid on my bike and i've gone through the carbs top to bottom...

Comment

New boots locally for me were around $22 each, from the dealer.

Each boot has it's own part number, and they are different. Numbered exactly opposite of the cylinder numbers btw so don't go by that.

The boots I got came with new o rings included, each individually wrapped in with the boot. Dealer had originally said they didn't come with, and I ordered a set of the o rings seperately. Kept them cause they were like $2, and eh.. might need to replace one.

Was definately worth the investment. HUGE difference in the running of my 93 750.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I only have one more question as far as this goes. My dad has a o-ring kit that has many assorted o-rings. Every time I go to tighten down a boot (got new boots), it seems to crack the part where the screw goes in. Is it the o-ring or the boot? Should I just order Suzuki o-rings? Thanks.

Comment

Yes you should.

Comment

Suzuki apparently used non-standard size rings on almost everything. You should order the correct part to ensure a good fit.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I only have one more question as far as this goes. My dad has a o-ring kit that has many assorted o-rings. Every time I go to tighten down a boot (got new boots), it seems to crack the part where the screw goes in. Is it the o-ring or the boot? Should I just order Suzuki o-rings? Thanks.
                        Yes, purchase new boots to replace any ones that are cracked and they will come with new o-rings. I'd suggest going for all 4 unless the one's not cracked are fairly new still.

As for the "assorted rings", the problem your running into is 2 part.

1, those rings are slightly harder, and won't "compress" as much as the suzuki o-rings.

2, If not exactly the right size, they won't seat/seal correctly.

I know this because before I purchased all new boots and o-rings, I tried the same thing... and broke 3 out of 4 of the boots in the process. 2 of them snapped after full installed while riding the bike (60 miles away from the shop, that was a fun ride home.... )

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I greatly appreciate it! I ordered new o-rings today. They were 2.50 a piece, but I think it is worth NOT breaking my boots. Fortunately I only used my OLD boots to test the seals and broke one of them. The newer ones are great and just waiting for the seal. Thanks again all, and I'm sorry Krey, but it could have been worse. Could have been raining!

Comment

My dad always told me *in a southern accent*

What doesn't kill ya makes your wallet hurt when you fix it...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I have to ask is this the size they are.
                              I can buy 10 packs of them for about the cost of 2 from ronayers

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                              it's a M2.5x40, but a friend used #130 viton's and they worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X