Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

can you run lean and still wet the plugs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you run lean and still wet the plugs?

ive got no idea what is wrong with this thing. ever since i got it it hasnt worked right. it drives perfect for a while then bogs down and dies but then starts after 5 minutes or so but will bog down again if ran above 70 or so. it seems to me the plugs are getting wet but im not sure. i think its running a little lean cause it will pop sometimes, which i was told is a symptom of running lean. (but i guess ive also been told the oppisite)

things that are wrong/fixed/cleaned
    1. petcock off ebay, came from a junkyard but seems to work perfect
    2. carbs cleaned, not taken apart 100% just broke down to the jets and floats and cleaned out with carb cleaner, floats adjusted
    3. new air filter, from cyber.
    4. spark plugs changed from the ones with out the K (i think its a K) to the ones the manual reccomends
    5. new fuel filter, screen filter that i need to change out to a paper or magnet
    6. oil is 10w-40 but the bottle didnt say motorcycle oil, ive never had the clutch slip.
    7. tank por-15 and is now rust free, carbs were cleaned the same day i did this.
    8. carb synced myself, i believe its right, but could be wrong.
    9. new battery
    10. i believe theres an air leak, but have failed to find one.
    11. probably could use valve adjustment.
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

First you need to KNOW whether it's getting the plugs wet or not. You say you "synced" the carbs yourself but don't know if they're "right", that's pretty important to KNOW. You "believe" there's an air leak, why? You say it "probably" needs a valve adjustment, that too is important to have done before you get crazy trying to diagnose a problem.

Comment

its very possibkle to have some lean circuits and some too rich circuits...

A bog is caused by a lean mixture and a sputter soggy feel is caused by a rich mixture.

Chances are the petcock is not working or you need to replace the vacuum line to the petcock. I woukld try running it in PRIME to see if that helps it.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

you could spary around with some ether...I had an air leak and thats how I found out where it was for sure. I have some plumbers putty on it now until I get the part :mrgreen:.

Comment

like i said i did the carb sync myself, im pretty sure its right, but since it was my first few syncs i dont want it to be eliminated completely as part of the problem. i think it needs an adjustment cause of the mileage on it, but i cant afford it, especially on a bike thats not running right. i think thers an air leak cause of the way the idle acted, but it seemed to be idling good after a new petcock and plugs. im not sure how to check the plugs for being wet since it bogs down only at higher speeds and i live in residential area, and cruising around at 70 then pulling into the drivway and pulling the plugs isnt possible, any ideas on this would help. ill try turing it to prime next time it bogs down and see what happens, is it possible the carbs are loosing vaccum after a little while?

Comment

the idle acts that way because the valves are off. One valve on a cylinder is .005 another on the same cylinder is .004 you can't fix that with a sync.

Comment

only on a 2 stroke
              1989 katana 750

Comment

I had an issue when I put on a new aftermarket fuel cap. It quit on the way home from work, Wouldnt restart, then fired up and ran about 1mile. After it qiut that time, I sent for tools. When the tools arrived it fired up and drove normal all the way home. I found when the tank got to a certain piont low in the tank, it would create a suction and not flow very well.On prime fuel would start to trickle, not flow a steady stream. Once O opened the cap and a rush of air went into the tank, the fuel flowed great. I removed the check ball and spring to vent the cap and I havent had an issue in 500 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by olds455 View Post
                  I had an issue when I put on a new aftermarket fuel cap. It quit on the way home from work, Wouldnt restart, then fired up and ran about 1mile. After it qiut that time, I sent for tools. When the tools arrived it fired up and drove normal all the way home. I found when the tank got to a certain piont low in the tank, it would create a suction and not flow very well.On prime fuel would start to trickle, not flow a steady stream. Once O opened the cap and a rush of air went into the tank, the fuel flowed great. I removed the check ball and spring to vent the cap and I havent had an issue in 500 miles.
                  maybe you could have just put in a softer spring?
                  1989 katana 750

Comment

I was just going to suggest opening the tank when it starts to bog, and see if that fixes it.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

my tank has always had suction, is this ever normal? i was talking to a friend that has a cbr and he said he has never heard it happen with his bike, so i dissasembled the top and everything looked normal, so i havnt really given it a second thought.

Comment

just so i know im not removing springs and balls that dont need to be, you are talking about the spring and ball that normally goes here right? http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...cture001-1.jpg

Comment

every time i see the title of this thread i have a visual of him pizzing on the top of his motor.
                          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

lol, arsenic walked me threw it. i couldnt belive how much there is to it. thanks arsenic, and everyone else thats helped me threw the months. ill take it out tommorow and see how it works.

Comment

Working...
                            X