X

Keeping the Kat cool!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping the Kat cool!?!?

I don't know if it is just me but it seems that the Katana runs somewhat hot. My '04 Kat 600 runs just fine but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep the bike cool especially on those warm summer nights.
    Just Another Day in Paradise

Make sure you oil cooler in not obstructed and run some good oil.

Kat's run hot anyway, But you really don't say how hot you think it is running.

Tmod

Comment

read this http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72162

Comment

There are 3 key things to keeping and engine running cool
        proper fuel/air mixture
        reduce friction
        spark plug heat range

A good synthetic oil will help, and like already said... make sure the oil cooler is kept clean.

With standard plugs one run heat range cooler in the summer or switch to iridiums
        Iridium plugs will pull away heat from the combustion chamber a little more efficiently.

You can fatten up the jetting slightly to. I'm running mine at 2.75 turns out. ( mostly stock with a slip on) It' s a tad rich but will lower the exhaust gas temps and help cool the engine when you let off or run below 1/4 throttle.

At the cost of hp you could run higher octane fuel... like 89 octane. The higher the octane fuel the higher the flash point and the harder it is for the engine to ignite the mixture. Using EGT gauges I have seen a few degree temp drop using higher octane fuel. Simply because the engine is not able to burn the fuel as efficiently.

A little trick some racers liked to do is add a cap full of 2 stroke synthetic oil to each full tank of fuel. that tiny little bit of oil can help lubricate carb and intake components and help lubricate the top end.
        Last edited by hardlydangerous; 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

run a 20w-50 instead of 10w-40 like normal in the summer months....top off little more.

run little on the rich side.

lastly..install some fans.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            ...At the cost of hp you could run higher octane fuel... like 89 octane. The higher the octane fuel the higher the flash point and the harder it is for the engine to ignite the mixture. Using EGT gauges I have seen a few degree temp drop using higher octane fuel. Simply because the engine is not able to burn the fuel as efficiently.
            Sorry... the engineer in me couldn't let this one pass.

A higher octane fuel has a higher auto-ignition temp and a longer ignition delay BUT the SAME fuel/air ratio (same power). Presuming your engine is not knocking, you will see not benefits to higher octane fuel. The reason some engines show a decrease in exhaust temps by running higher octane fuel, is that most engines are designed to run close (or slightly over) their knock compression ratio. Running higher octane in this case delays the ignition slightly and gets rid of the corresponding pressure/temp spike thus lowering temps.

Besides that, everything else listed works great... you could even get ambitious and rig up a water/alcohol injection system.. You'll cool your engine and get slightly more power as well..
            sigpic

In Life, you either lead, follow, or circumnavigate the whole process....

Comment

Drive through lawn sprinklers. It'll help to cool you off too.

Comment

Working...
              X