X

1989 600 help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 600 help

Im new to the site and have a few problems with this bike I bought. Its a 1989 600 katana and the previous owner screwed it up. First off the turn signals werent hooked up and the tach didnt work. I hooked up the signals, but the tach still doesnt work. Can someone post up the wiring diagram for the tach? Also my main concern is the choke does not work at all. It is closed and starts right up and idles fine, but if I open it up at all the bike dies. Another problem is when I give it 1/2 to full throttle at any gear the engine feels either starved or rich (hesitation-stumble). I changed the plugs to hgk's from champions but it is the same. Champions looked to be fouled with soot and going to check to see if the new ones are the same. Also changed the oil and filter. Any suggestions?

Could be many things. What was done to the bike by the po? 4 into 1 exhaust? slip on? jetting? pods? stock air box?

Comment

stock exhaust and airbox dont know about jetting. bike runs great until mid to upper rpms

Comment

cpull, bought an '88 600 Katana off Craigslist 3 months ago just seeing a picure.

It had been neglected, but not really abused. I had similar problems to yours - blinkers not working, no license plate light, lousy tires, stumbling at idle and would not keep running without goosing the throttle at stops.

It runs like a champ, now and here is what I did -

1) Relaced fuel filter with universal auto fuel filter (smallest Advance Auto had). Glass, but looks like 5 times the capacity of the one I took out.
        2) All new fuel/vacuum hoses throughout
        3) New NGK iridium plugs
        4) Repaired a plug wire that fell apart in my hands during the plug change
        5) Changed oil to Royal Purple - $4/qt
        6) Ran SeaFoam through a couple of tanks.
        7) New tires (changed myself)

Probably $100 (not counting tires) total and 8 hours. Got all my education from this forum and gixxer.com forum. God Luck

Comment

6) Ran SeaFoam through a couple of tanks.

Thats probably the one thing you did right. Not to say the rest were wrong. But the seafoam, thru several tanks is the trick. Its not a "pour it in the tank tonight" solution, but give it a few days and see.
          Speedier way is to clean the carbs, but remember here... three times the charm. So it seems. Anyhow.. the good call is Seafoam +1. You make your own choices,
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
          X