No announcement yet.
X

Need some help with an oil filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats interesting CP - i havn't read anything about a glue issue.

tim

Comment

Also, WERA (an amatuer roadracing association) currently outlaws the use of FRAM filters on racing bikes. This stemmed from a rash of bikes blowing the filters off and spewing oil in the past (this was some years ago, I believe). It seems they were built with less thread engagment than was neeeded to hold them on!

And I'd concur with the cardboard thing. That stuff dissolves over time and starts migrating in your engine. It's certainly a cheaper way to build a filter, but not necessarily a better one. Plus, why risk it when an STP or NAPA filter is about the same price and has superior all metal (except for the filter media) guts?

Good link to the craptastic Fram filter:

BTW, here's a very interesting link that shows the insides of various motorcycle filters:
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Well, I don't like to revive old threads, but I will this time...

I bought my Katana like 3 months ago, second day I changed the oil and replaced the filter. It had a FRAM filter, and I used a FRAM filter (because, FRAM filter is your only option, well, that and a no name korean filter, there are no other filters in here, not even the Suzuki filter at the Stealership).

One week ago I opened that filter, the one my bike had when I bought it. I have no clue when it was manufactured, but back then, the oil was still clean, so it can't be THAT old.

Well, to my surprise, I fould cardboard endcaps... (this was this year)
        Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Working...
        X