X

Bumpy roads make my tank rattle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumpy roads make my tank rattle

So i have a 91, and pittsburgh roads are about as bad as anywhere. Everytime i hit a potholes or cross RR tracks, my tank rattles, REALLY loud. I have taken the tank off, replaced all rubber mounts, including the c shaped one at the front of the tank. The tank is mounted solid, but still has a slight bit of play (which i read was right). The only time it makes the noise is when i hit a hard bump, which are everywhere, and sometimes unavoidable.

I almost seems like something inside the tank is loose. The fuel gauge works properly, so i dont think that is the problem.

What else is in there? I have no experience with gas tanks.

Any suggestions or experience with this annoyance?

maybe the float inside?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

your wiring or cables (throttle/clutch) may be vibrating or bouncing against the bottom of your tank. Try removing your tank and look around the entire surface for an area that shows signs of scuffing or wear on your paint. If you have already done this maybe try stuffing a damp sponge underneath your tank and ride around the block, if the noise is still there then your problem is somewhere else. Don't ride too far or leave the sponge in there unless you are sick of it and looking for an insurance claim.
      sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Mine used to do this. The rubber stopper that the very front lip sits on was missing on mine and had a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around. I would say either add some support there, and/or tighten the 2 tank bolts under the seat.
        2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by III View Post
          Mine used to do this. The rubber stopper that the very front lip sits on was missing on mine and had a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around. I would say either add some support there, and/or tighten the 2 tank bolts under the seat.
          Your avatar is great. My buddy had that on his myspace page, and it would bob at exactly the beat of a song he had on there..... Dash Speaks "Problemas"...... I may have watched that 3 times a day for a month.

BTW- If anybody on here really likes hip-hop, check out Dash Speaks and Nickname, the duo is called "Bad News" on Screw York Records www.screwyork.com . Download the album there, it's worth it, for sure.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

So, did you fix it??????????
            sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

The C-channel at the front is also known to strech open a bit, try pinching it closed a little so it gets a tighter bite on the frame mount. If you havent resolved this already.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
              X