X

Quick Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

I know this will seem dumb to you gear heads, but I'm just starting to get into all this.

The Petcock has 3 lines for hoses. 2 of which are fuel lines which lead to the carbs. The third line goes to where?

I've looked int he service manual I got and it is really bad about assisting with vent hoses and the like.

Thanks.

3 lines? mine only had two?? one fuel line going to the carbs and one vacuum line going to the carbs

Comment

Well I have 3 lines.

1996 GSX600f

I currently have 2 fuel lines going to the carbs and one line that I think I have hooked up all wrong. That's why I'm asking. It has a non-stable idle and it may have a lot to do with that 3rd line.

The service manual blows when it comes to hoses and I'm trying to figure it out.

Comment

I have two also but to show others you aren't nuts here is the fiche from Ron Ayers.

Tmod

Comment

Yeah I think I got the vent lines all turned around. I've been doing some research since I've posted....I think I have what they call a California model.

3 lines off the petcock. 2 are fuel there is one left. Where that last one goes is the mystery. Now there is also a line off the fuel tank that does not go to the petcock. I currently have a hose hooked up from that 3rd petcock space to that vent line on the tank.

I'm thinking that my idle problems are coming from a screw up on my part with the vent or vacuum lines. I think the 3rd line from the petcock should be place somewhere on the 4th carb.....if my research online was in anyway correct.....I just need someone who has a clue what I'm talking about to confirm that....plus, if that 3rd petcock line is to the 4th carb somewhere, then where does that line off the bottom of the tank go....if it goes anywhere.

So any insight you guys have would be helpful.

Thanks

Comment

The third line is a vacuum line it goes to a fitting on the #4 carb. The vacuum pulls open the diaphram inside the petcock when the engine is running allowing fuel to flow.

The other line from the gas tank is most likely the drain from around the filler. There should be a hose to route any spilled gas to drain overboard.

Comment

Well, If you bothered to fill out any of your garage info, Then I would know what bike you have, From the avitar it looks like a Pre, If so, Theres three lines off the carbs. Two fuel, left/right when looking straight at the valve knob and the rearmost is a vac line as Jet doc said above that leads to the nipple on carb # 4 that is closest to the motor.. That nipple sticks out to the right when your sitting on the bike. Posts have one fuel line from the valve and a vac line.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

How the hell are we supposed to fill out garage info. when there is no link other than to view "My Garage".

I would love to fill out garage info. but since the upgrade, I joined after, there isn't a link in the user cp. Admin. PLEASE, give us a link to our garages.

I'm fairly confident that the replies to this will point out some utter stupidity on my part - that there is a link already and I just haven't seen it. If this is the case, FANTASTIC. I can stop from getting flamed when I post my mechanical questions.

In answer to the thread question - I have a pre' 750 - two lines are fuel to your carbs (front line is carbs 3 & 4, rear is is carbs 1 & 2). Line pointing to the middle of the tank (on the back of the petcock) is, as someone has stated, the vacuum line from the right hand side of carb #4. The drain line from your filler is in the middle of the underside of the tank, not on the petcock.

BTW. bike info. in your sig. seems the only way to bypass the garage problem.

Ha, I get to flame me before anyone else.

Found the link. I'll swear it was put there by pixies after my last post... lol.

User cp - on the left - my garage - woohoo....
                Last edited by belgum; 07-27-2008, 05:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

sigpic '92 GSX750F, Motad 4-1 Exhaust, Conti Road Attacks (120/70 & 150/70)

Comment

Alright, I don't have the vacuum hose hooked up at all. Thisa is what is probably causing my irregular idle issues.

Thing that concerns me is........should my bike be running at all without the vacuum line on? Because it is.

Does that mean my petcock is broken? The petcock does leak out gas where the fuel lines connected to it when I had the tank off. Is that normal? Should the petcock keep the gas in the tank until acted upon by the vacuum during operation?

Would be nice to know before I take the bike a part AGAIN, then find out that I need to fix something else.....sigh.

Comment

the petcock work with the vacuum on res or on only. If your bike is running its on prime which bypasses the vacuum diaphragm and is gravity fed. Unless for some reason the vacuum diapragm is stuck "on" being broke letting fuel flow. Wow this sounds really difficult to read did anyone figure out what I just said??

Pri is to 3oclock, on is 6 oclock, res is 9 oclock as u are off the bike looking at it.
                    Last edited by kevin2502000; 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

That's not what I mean. The vacuum line was not on the petcock at all. It was running, while on the "ON" position. What I want to know is this,

If the vacuum line is NOT connected and the petcock is in the "ON" position, and the bike is running. (Not great but running) Does this mean my petcock is bad?

Also, if that isn't an indicator? Then how do I test if the petcock is ok or not?

I hope that clarifies what I'm asking

Comment

Yes, Petcocks gummed up a bit, And you already tested that when you said the tank was off the bike and it kept leaking gas. Petcock needs a rebuild. Fairly simple and TheCyberPoet sells the kits on here. Send him a PM regarding it.
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Alright, thank you so much. My mechanic friend and I should be able to fix it right up then.

Comment

Originally posted by belgum View Post
                            How the hell are we supposed to fill out garage info. when there is no link other than to view "My Garage".

I would love to fill out garage info. but since the upgrade, I joined after, there isn't a link in the user cp. Admin. PLEASE, give us a link to our garages.

I'm fairly confident that the replies to this will point out some utter stupidity on my part - that there is a link already and I just haven't seen it. If this is the case, FANTASTIC. I can stop from getting flamed when I post my mechanical questions.

In answer to the thread question - I have a pre' 750 - two lines are fuel to your carbs (front line is carbs 3 & 4, rear is is carbs 1 & 2). Line pointing to the middle of the tank (on the back of the petcock) is, as someone has stated, the vacuum line from the right hand side of carb #4. The drain line from your filler is in the middle of the underside of the tank, not on the petcock.

BTW. bike info. in your sig. seems the only way to bypass the garage problem.

Ha, I get to flame me before anyone else.

Found the link. I'll swear it was put there by pixies after my last post... lol.

User cp - on the left - my garage - woohoo....

The link to edit your garage is, and always has been in the usercp.

The 90-97 bikes run two fuel lines and a vacuum line to the carburetor. The vacuum line should attach on either the right side of the carbs, or via one of the sync ports.

The 88-89 bikes run one fuel line, and one vaccum line like the 98+ bikes.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the two big hoses should go from petcock to the carbs. the smaller hose goes from petcock to the right side of #4 carb. It is a vacuum hose that opens petcock-fuel will not flow if this is not hooked up or if there is no vacuum for some reason. This is why I also use it as antitheft. I simply pull it off the carb (very easy to access on-pre 98 anyway)if you start bike it will only run till fuel in carbs is gone then will stall and won't start back up. maybe not the best security but it sure is a cheap one.

bill

Comment

Working...
                              X