X

Advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancer

I have to order some stuff and was going to pick up and advancer while I was at it. On bikebandit I chose the factory pro ignition rotor for a 92 600 and for a 97 750 since they didnt have a 97 600 listed. The one for the 92 was actually cheaper than the one for the 97 750. I thought that the rotor was the same for both 600 and 750 from 88-06. Is that right or no. I want to make sure I get the right advancer.

Factory Pro lists different advancers for those models. I'd recommend getting the correct one for your bike. Go to Factory Pro's website and see what your bike takes.

Comment

Part # "rtr-suz-2" according to factory pro's website for a 1997. Same thing I just installed on my '97.

Comment

Does the advancer give much in terms of gains? What other mods would you need to do along with it (if any)?
        2008 ZZR 600 (His)
        Black
        Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
        Red
        Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Electrical_Tech View Post
          Does the advancer give much in terms of gains? What other mods would you need to do along with it (if any)?
          Go stage-1 jetting and full exhaust... Gixxer cams maybe. But stay away from the K&N filters. (figured I'd say it before Chris does).

I have the three (jetting, advancer and exhaust) and feel like I get a more even power band... she just pulls and pulls - regardless of gear or RPM's.
          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

are those other upgrades neccasary for the advancer...will there be benefit to installing the advancer by itself?

Comment

you don't need to do the other upgrades with the advancer. Those are just 2 of the more common upgrades people do. Advancer alone should provide some benefit.

Comment

Are there any ill effects? Why wasn't it shipped from the factory with an advancer ia what I'm wondering.

Comment

An ignition advancer is a replacement timing signal generator part, which bolts in where the stock one is.
                  It changes the US-standard ignition advance from sparking 4 degrees before-top-dead-center (BTDC) to 9 degrees BTDC (note the European models already spark at 9 to 11 degrees BTDC, and this not intended for their GSXF models). The US models received 4 degrees advance from the factory for EPA-pollution control purposes.
                  Advancing the ignition to 9 degrees BTDC provides the following benefits and drawbacks:

Benefits:
                  The primary benefit is that the bike's torque between 3k and 7k RPM increases, fattening up the lower-midrange some, because the detonation product has longer to "push" against the piston before the exhaust valve opens. The difference is most noticable, at least on the 98+ models, in the first three gears.
                  The bike warms up faster (comes up to operating temp), because the explosion is contained in the cylinder longer. This is particularly beneficial for those who ride in cooler/colder weather.
                  It's a cheap, proven, easily installable (simple bolt-in procedure) upgrade that works instantly, and can be changed back to stock just as readily.

Drawbacks:
                  If you spend much of your time at high RPMs (7-10k RPM) in the lower three gears, you can cause your engine to run too hot for the oil (overheating).
                  If you live in a hot-weather climate and frequently get into traffic jams or stop-n-go traffic (with mostly stop), the engine running hotter will cause the bike to overheat faster than a stock 4 degree advancer. I do not recommend this upgrade to anyone who commonly finds themselves in traffic jams (such as the 5 O'Clock rush hour traffic jam in many metropolitan areas).
                  The bike will produce more pollution per mile than the stock advancer.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Taken from another post

Comment

That's good info. Seems it would be a sensible add on / exhange for me as I do ride in cooler climates, but, being a new rider I don't need any extra power above and beyond what the Kat puts out already.
                    2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                    Black
                    Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                    Red
                    Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by super fly View Post
                      are those other upgrades neccasary for the advancer...will there be benefit to installing the advancer by itself?
                      Sorry, no, you don't have to do the other two... but in time, you'll just really want to.
                      Last edited by VifferJim; 07-25-2008, 02:06 PM.
                      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Working...
                      X