X

Clutch how to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch how to?

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

I searched and found that thread. I don't know exactly what all of it means, I've never done a clutch on a bike before. Basically I was wondering if I could handle doing it with no problems. I've got some experience working on cars.

This is on a kat 750. An 89.

Any idea on what it would cost for the stuff to replace everything would be too? Thanks guys.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thats just for adjusting the clutch. I know how to do that lol. Thanks anyways though.

I decided not to buy the bike that needed it anyways. Gas to go and get it isn't something I feel like paying for. Thanks again though

Comment

So you are talking about the clutch plates themselves?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Capitalcrew View Post
          I decided not to buy the bike that needed it anyways.
          Well, this will be for future reference...

For me and my 2001 it was very easy. Easier than doing a brake pad replacement.

I did an oil change while I was at it. If you are only doing the friction/cork plates, you basicaly remove the crankcase cover, make sure to replace the gasket with a new one because it will probably tear/break apart.

Unbolt the four bolts that hold the plate on, part #12.

The metal plates #11 & the cork plates #9 alternate as you can see in the picture. 11|9|11|9|11|9...etc. Remember what order you take them out.

Install the cork plate in reverse order, alternating the metal plates with the cork plates.

Replace part #12.

Screw on the retaing bolts, part #14, with new springs if necssary, or if they came in a kit. It's best to do it since your already there.

If the gasket is stuck the the metal, there is a gasket remover in a spay can that works well. Scraping it in a dry state doesn't always work for me.

For my 2001, Suzuki says to use their RTV where the top and bottom cranckcases meet, then install the gasket.

Install crankcase cover and bolts. I don't have tourque specs on the side cover bolts, though.

Easy, peasy lemon squeasy.

If your replacing the clutch basket because of notches from the plates "fingers", well that's different.

Last edited by squiggy; 07-24-2008, 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
          X