X

oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

I put in the shift kit the other day. Put everything back together and I have a leak. I took it back apart last night, and used some gasket maker to fix it because I figured I had messed up the gasket. Ride the bike around and its still leaking. Now I don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions? The picture shows the spot where its leaking (that is not my oil pan however.)

Last edited by beherenow71; 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM.

buy a NEW gasket

Comment

I had just put a brand new gasket on there, it came with the shift kit. Shouldn't the gasket maker stuff work?
      Last edited by beherenow71; 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

use some permatex when you put it back together. p.s. the brown little jar with the indian head works best in my opinion. read the instuctions on the jar and follow to the t. ive never had a leak after using this stuff, and i have used it with old used gaskets as long as they were not torn at all. i repeat follow the directions to the t. and you will have no more trobble.
        let her ride! she might like the vibrations and quit bitchin

91 kat 750 vance and hines pipe
        dyno jet 120's
        k&n filter, and 86 gsxr cams.

92 yamaha blaster stage 3 kit
        98 f-150 k&n filter, 2 in lift and chip set
        1988 checkmate 2881 550 hp 600 ft/lb tork dynoed
        1947 studebaker pickup 502 w/450 hp
        1935 chris craft 17 ft w 238 v 8

Comment

I had the same problem with my oil pan, it had a hairline crack in about the same spot as yours and would leak from there. My suggestion would be to get some black silicone, and spread it around the area, it has to be oil free in order for it to adhere, but I have not had any problems since I did that.

Comment

well, I finally figured out that I have a crack in my oil pan. How could that have happened? Is it possible that I did something wrong when I installed the shift kit and that caused it? The bike had been wrecked when I got it, is it possible that the crack was there before but didn't really take effect and start leaking until I removed the oil pan?

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
              well, I finally figured out that I have a crack in my oil pan. How could that have happened? Is it possible that I did something wrong when I installed the shift kit and that caused it? The bike had been wrecked when I got it, is it possible that the crack was there before but didn't really take effect and start leaking until I removed the oil pan?
              Overtightened possibly?

Comment

Working...
              X