X

Idles rises and lowers can't figure it out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idles rises and lowers can't figure it out

Hello smart people I am having problems and I don't know what it is. It idles up then goes back down to where it should then rises back up. Could it be a VACUUM leak I am clueless, I cleaned the carbs and set the float heights and everything was looking good. ANY IDEAS I AM WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING!!!! THANKS

check the idle mixture screws?..... gotta drill the caps over em and then seat them... then 2.5 turns out

Comment

carbs need to be synced or you have a vac leak
      if you had the carbs apart it could be either
      get a can of carb cleaner and start spraying with the bike running and see if iffle increases dramatically.
      common vac leak areas.....
      carb boots on the head and airbox
      vac caps
      vac port o rings
      airbox drain tube aka puke tube
      im betting on needing a sync though
      Rc51 sp2 power commander 3 with custom tune, speedcell battery, titanium rear subframe, sato banzi full titanium exhaust, 16/42 sprockets, turn one carbon fiber airbox and snorkel, sato rearsets scotts damper cgr shorty levers.... more added everyday

1997 kat 600: b12 rear shock, jetted and vance and hines full exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by forsaken View Post
        carbs need to be synced or you have a vac leak

airbox drain tube aka puke tube
        Should this one be capped off?
        97 GSX600F
        76 CB750F
        71 CB175

Comment

I'm going to try and synch them because I cleaned the hell out of them and set the floats and got all my hoses hooked up right THANKS to ARSENIC and the diagram he sent me I really hope thats it. I also set the idle air screws out to 2.5 and thats good to not running rich or lean. Thanks bro's

Comment

Originally posted by starion88esir View Post
            Should this one be capped off?
            Yes
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I had idle issue, #4 spark plug was shot, replaced and it runs better. Just a thought, have you checked your plugs?

Comment

Yep I check my plugs very often only thing i havent done is synch the carbs and I dont have a tool to do it so I gotta come up with some cash and take it to the shop. ALSO when I hit the rear brakes my brake lights come on but when I hit the front no luck. I know there is a front brake switch or relay but where is it?????

Comment

What year and size is it?

For the front brake switch.... follow the only two wires going to your brake lever. The switch gets crudded up sometimes. You might be able to just clean it out pretty thoroughly and make it work again. If it's outright broke, just get another one.

And for your idle issues........ welcome to the wonderful world of carbs! Definitely either invest in a synch tool, or make one. It can make a big difference if it's off. If you are ABSOLUTELY sure that the carbs are 100% clean, then I won't tell you to take them off again just yet....... but it wouldn't hurt..... you could use the opportunity to replace the bowl screws with hex headed ones (or socket headed, however you prefer to call them).
                  Another thing I would check, is to look closely (probably with a flashlight) at all your carb boots, top and bottom, with them installed. Sometimes when you push the carbs in, a boot can bend, and sit funny on the carb, giving you a big vacuum leak. All this is just a shot in the dark though. Figuring out carb problems is often just done by checking, and rechecking everything until you find the problem. Looking for vacuum leaks is a good start. The little o-rings for the vac ports are easy to lose, and can cause some running issues. Hope all goes well.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thanks for the good info I will check all that you listed, and thats a good idea to replace those soft easily stripped float bowl screws. I will look around on a couple more threads to see how to make a synch tool because that would save at the least $50 bucks.
                    I just came in for a ride and the thing idles around 2500 to 3000 RPM's and occasionally jumps to 4000 so I would turn the idle screw down to about 1000 RPM's and then it will just konk out when stop giving it gas. Then I will idle it up just half a hair and it will jump back to 3500 RPM's. Theres no fine line when I get it where I like it to idle it don't want it, it wants to be at 3500 and thats too high!!! When I let off the clutch it snatches the drawls clean off me!! Any ideas??? ohhh yeah its a 93 kat 600

Comment

clean, re-clean, and re-re-clean the idle circut an pilot circut. then do the carb sync. and keep lookin for peskey vac leaks. a hose can look perfectly good and yet have a crack or crappy end that's leakin. the sync port caps are notorious for this too.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Man I sure hate to take those darn carbs back off!!! I have been riding all day and I really need to fix that problem sometimes it idles perfect then it will rise to 2500 RPM's, its not going to 4000 RPM's no more. But it seems like the more I rode the better it got. I'm not complaining because this is my first bike and the best $200.00 I ever spent and loving it!!!! Guess i'm going to pull them back off and clean house AGAIN!Thanks again I appreciate all the info you all give me!!!!

Comment

I always use compressed air after cleaning to dry and blow out any crap. If you have access to air compressor do that too. Don't feel bad about carbs, they are very sensitive to any dirt and I have had clean my again after I thought they were clean. Give them a long soak.
                          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                          X