X

Fuel Tank Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Question

Ok when I had bought my 2002 Kat the tank was dented up pretty well. Any ways I found a tank locally and picked it up today. Well when I went to swap the tank out, this new tank is missing something my old tank had. Just a little forward of the fuelcock there is a J/L shaped tube on my old tank pointing towards the rear of the bike. The tank I purchased doesn't have this tube. Now on my bike there is a hose that connects to said J/L shaped tube that runs along the side of my bike towards the rear of the bike. I haven't pulled my tail covers to see where it goes. The hose in question isn't shown in the service manuals either. Is this hose important or no? Thank you for your time.

You bought a Cali tank. Cali tanks dont have the same venting the other 49 do. The hose originally vented to the atmosphere. Two options... rip the sucker out, or leave it as is. Pretty much your choise since you wont be swapping tanks again soon, and even if you did and tossed the old hose... Rubber tubings avalible from any parts store.

Either way, its not hurting anything, Just leaving it there as is, in the future might cause you to have a "Senoir moment" and worry you forgot to hook up something.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

now the more important question.... how badly dented is the tank, and what are you going to do with it now?
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Its kind of funny that the tank on my bike isn't a Cali tank as the bike is a Cali model (I think, it had fans and all sorts of stuff). Anywho the plot thickens.

So I changed out my tank and put gas in it. The cap doesn't want to mount flush to seal the tank. I can still smell gas with it closed and if I gently shake the bike side to side gas comes out the cap. What can I adjust and how to make it fit correctly?

Comment

Is there anything I can do to adjust the cap and make it fit better?

Comment

I had no idea that the caps were different?!?
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Theres no adjustment for the gas cap. Mine sits up a little towards the front as well, but doesnt leak. If you are sloshing the tank back and forth and gas is escaping, then I would sayCheck the seal around the gas cap. Yep that rubber thing, Is it torn or ripped? Look also at the neck of the tank where it meets, is it dented? Do you still have your old tank around? If so, and your old one sealed fine, Unbolt it and put it on the new tank. Now all the keys will match too.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

The cap on this tank is the one from my old tank. The guy I bought this tank from took his cap off before I bought it. All the seals and stuff are good. The neck of the tank looks a little shady, but not overly bent or dented. I'm wondering if I could build up the area inside the neck of the tank where the latch hooks with JB Weld or something to help hold the tank down once its closed.

Comment

Working...
                X