X

Battery box attachments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery box attachments

So here's an interesting question for people who really know the differences in pre Kats.

I've got a 96 600. On the outside of my battery box (the side nearer to the engine) there are two rubber covered electrical connectors.

I've identified one of them to be the turn signal relay. The other (square shaped with 4 equal sized connectors) I've no clue.

I have another 96 kat that i'm trying to get roadworthy and it needs the turn signal relay...so i bought some parts of a guy with a 90 kat 600 he was parting out. He had 3 things attached to his battery box. I decided to "play it safe" and take 2/3...somehow i was wrong on both counts.

My 96 kat doesnt seem to have any 3rd component attached to its battery box.

Does anyone know if there are differences? what are the 2 or 3 components that are supposed to be there?

Thanks all.
    '96 600GSXF

Starter relay

I have a 90 and I have a turn signal relay and the other is a starter relay. You wouldnt happen to have a CDI box do ya? (one thats not attached to your bike.....lol)

The third one is probably a bike thats equipped with "four ways"
    Last edited by pri_i_oh; 07-08-2008, 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2004 TRX45R fully built race quad MX and TT
    1998 Triumph Daytona 595T 955cc
    "To thine own self be true"
    TNT Billiards and Powersports

Comment

Sorry, no extra CDI box. Actually, the guy who was parting out his 90 Katana...i think it was because his CDI died too. I was a bit surprised, it was a nice looking bike..i think he just needed some excuse to go to a newer GSXR (if you'd like i can give you his email, he still has a bunch of parts...and maybe i'm mixing up the part about the CDI..)

Also, I've seen the starter-relay..for both of my bikes, that was on the right hand side of the battery box..and it was bigger than these other parts.

Also, starter relay, i think..was attached by screws...these smaller components have a rubber sheath over them that has a slot cut into it. This sheath then mounts on a protruding tab from the actual battery box.
      '96 600GSXF

Comment

Thats exactly how my starter relay is. Its inside the little square rubber cover that sits on the tab not attached by screws. I bet if you disconnect it your starter wont turn over. I just did it yesterday.

Comment

it's a fuel relay, no it's not, the stater relay on a pre is attached with two screws:
          Last edited by arsenic; 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

then why would it cut the starter off?

Comment

Sidestand relay
              The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

that would explain no start now wouldn't it?

Comment

Yeah. Without the SS relay in place, the killswitch doesn't get power. What are your wire colors going to that mystery plug? It should be
                  1. Orange/White
                  2. Orange/White
                  3. Orange/Blue
                  4. Green

Comment

for like the last 3 days, I've been working on a wiring diagram for my bike, I really don't wanna hear wire color right now

BTW thats a diagram for a 98+ harness with pre gauges, there it be
                    Last edited by arsenic; 07-09-2008, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Hehe I feel your pain. The diagrams wear on you after awhile

Comment

What I don't understand is if I unplug that relay the starter won't even turn over. Why would a fuel relay have any relation to the starter?

Comment

Its not a fuel relay, its the sidestand relay. When the relay is open, no power gets to the killswitch. It's also an ignition cutoff rather than fuel. It's hard to make an electronic cutoff for carbs as youd still have to exhaust the supply in the bowls before the engine would quit. This relay goes to the killswitch, starter button, coils, and CDI.

Comment

yeah the fuel relay is that 3rd one you didn't know, the one you're talking about is a sidestand relay.

Comment

I think I found the issue. air filter. I took the air filter off and wala. Obviously it didnt run perfect because it was uncontrolled air but it didnt die. Also, when I shut it off it restarted fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X