X

what would happen if...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would happen if...

you take a rack of carbs with a stage 3 jet kit installed, and then mount them on a bike with a stock exhaust and a stock air filer?
    '96 600GSXF

Chances are you will need to recalibrate them, I assume you are referring to the DynoJet stage 3.

Tmod

Comment

hmm...assume that they are already on the bike. assume the bike starts, and runs well. Are there any "symptoms" you would expect to see?
      '96 600GSXF

Comment

If it indeed has a stage 3 kit it should be running a little rich as the stage 3 kit is taking into account things like single pods or a modded airbox and a full aftermarket exhaust.

Someone could have purchased a stage 3 kit but never actually made use of the richer components. Stage 3 kits usually have the stage 1 components as well as the extra goodies to change things up a bit.

Tmod

Comment

Hmm..

I'm kind of new to the whole "jet kit" thing. The guy who sold me the carbs also gave me the "rest" of his kit. So I've got the stock jets (they look used ) and then i've got a bunch of new looking jets...106, 110..120...several "sizes"...

I wanted to just test out the carbs, so i just threw them on the bike without removing float boles first to see which jets were actually in there. From how the guy made it sound, besides the jets, just the long needle looking things in the slides change...to compensate for the larger/smaller hole of the jet.

The bike started in just a few cranks..ran very well with the exhaust and filter removed. I then put the stock exhaust and stock filter on. I was not able to see any precieved difference in the running of the bike. Perhaps there is a difference when riding...dont know..

Also, i can see how if the bike was in the very high RPMs then it could manifest itself.

The guy who sold me the carbs said that he cleaned and tuned them every season...so i didn't want to mess with his "setup"

if anyone has a good reason for why i shouln't just leave the jets alone...please..i'm all ears

thanks Tmod for your advice
          '96 600GSXF

Comment

Don't kick a skunk. Think about it.

Comment

Did he give it to you in a plastic box? What brand is it?

Because the setup worked on his bike is no guarantee that it will work correctly on yours. If I were you I would like to know what the calibration is and what sizes of jets and needle position that you are now running. It is not that hard to find out as you can just pull one float bowl and check the main jet size and pull one slide cover and check the position of the clip and if there are any spacers under the clip.

Let us know and that way we have a baseline idea on what you are jetted at.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
              X