Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Quick question about carburetor jetting.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about carburetor jetting.

I have a 1986 GSX-R that, believe it or not, has an '89 Katana 750 engine installed. Well, after discovering clutch problems, as well as a very bad knocking noise, I've decided to replace the entire engine with a 2001 Katana 750 engine. Despite the 12-year difference, it should be a bolt-in job.

My question is that I have a Yoshimura exhaust, as well as pod-filters, on the original engine. The original carbs are in bad shape, and I want to use the 2001 carbs that came off the new engine.

Will I have to rejet the carbs with the Yoshimura exhaust and pod filters?

Or can I just leave it alone?

Thanks a lot.

Well.... if the pipe will fit the motor, as long as it was a 750, also depending on the size of the jets already in the current carbs on the 01 motor, yes you will have to jet the carbs.

Comment

Thanks.

Does anyone know the proper way to determine which jets will be appropriate? Or should I just transfer the jets from the original carbs?
      Last edited by Holocene; 07-05-2008, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Pod filters are going to require a stage 3 jetting I do beleive. You can buy the kits thru Dyno-Jet. If they say they don't have the "Stage 3 kit", you can also just buy larger jets. Dennis Kirk sells 2 jets for like $12 or $13 bucks. I just don' know what size you need.

Maybe Arsenic could chime in on the jet size, then you can just order those, and use some small washers to shim up your needles. Save you about $100 bucks or so if you could find out the jet size you need.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

well some of the kat pros will deff chime in but from everything i have read and learned....

KATS dont like pod filters.... and since for some reason somebody decided your gsxr needed a kat engine that applies to you as well....

but yeah if you do decide to go pods and jetting deff just buy the jets from someone and dont waste 100 bucks on a whole kit....
          THE EMAIL BANDIT
          F4 I stunted out
          Cbr900 (low and stretched)
          MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

The jets and sizes from your current carbs will not work in the late model BSR Mikuni carbs.
            Some on this forum say that Kats don't like pods and even don't see gains from non-stock replacement filters. You however do not have a Kat, only a Kat engine so possibly these concerns don't apply to you.
            In my experience using a Factory Pro jet kit (which is for sale by the way) with a UNI foam air filter and Hindle racing slip on with cleaned up header, have seen large gains in maximum power and mid range. I did some extra tweaking to get the setup right but it was very "do-able". (I laid the bike down so removed the extra stuff from it and now both the bike and the remaining add ons are for sale)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to install a stock airbox in place of the pods. The Dynojet "stage 1" kit says it will work with stock airbox and aftermarket exhaust. So I will probbaly pick up that kit as they claim they don't make a stage 3 kit for an '01 Katana 750.

My main concern is that I don't burn the engine up!!!
              Last edited by Holocene; 07-06-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

certainly DO NOT get a DynoJunk kit
                for 01 BSR36SS carbs there are 2 options that are FAR better
                1 - Ivan's Performance Products
                2 - Factory Pro Stage 1 (cause that's the only stage you can get)

Comment

As I said, I have a Factory Pro jet kit for sale. It has all you need for the perfect setup with anything from stock to full header exhaust. I'm selling it for $50 plus shipping and you won't find a better price as it includes some extra jets for heavier mods.

Comment

I got a new Factory Pro, it was over 100 + shipping, that is a really good price.

Comment

+1 for ivans and factory pro...
                      THE EMAIL BANDIT
                      F4 I stunted out
                      Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                      MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

GregS check your PM's.

Comment

Working...
                        X