X

Pilot Jet Plug?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Jet Plug?

Hey guys, first post here. I have a 93 Katana 600 I just got last week. It came mostly dissassembled but I'm to the point now where it is running. I'm kinda confused about what I found when taking apart the carbs. There was a small rubber plug that covers the piolet jet. It has an indention on the top but doesn't actually have a hole. None of the break downs have shown the part and I cant figure out what its for and if it is supposed to be there. Here are some pics...

Can anyone help me out here?

It's supposed to be there. I have no idea what it does but thats what I've been told.
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

I really wonder what purpose it serves. Seems like it just blocks off the pilot jet to me...

Comment

Steve is right, has to be there, i dont know why either.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Mikuni works in mysterious ways........

I don't know why it's there either, but I know it needs to be there.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

it blocks fuel from going in the pilot jet. Only air is supposed to go there, not fuel, thats what the main jets are for, I think

Comment

I think it's not wise to post a picture of your Suzuki carb, on a Katana website, with a Yamaha hat in the background.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing

Comment

maybe he is making a yamazuki or idk, im tired and sunburnt from va beach today.... l8r

Comment

Its there for a reason. Fuel entering the pilot circuit is metered via the holes further up inside that that tube that the plug blocks off. It draws fuel from the top of the float "proper" level along with a little air to help atomize it. Its why proper float heights important. On a 1100 Its not utilized since its metered differently. This is how I was taught to understand the basics of the carbs on these bikes.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I will buy that..........
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        I will buy that..........
                        only $39.95 in 6 easy payments. what's your CC# again?
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                          I think it's not wise to post a picture of your Suzuki carb, on a Katana website, with a Yamaha hat in the background.
                          Lol, I used to work at a Yamaha dealership. And isn't it technically a Minuki carb Suzuki bought?:mrgreen:

Okay, I guess this leads me to my next question. The bike runs terrible, I can get it to idle around 1000 rpms but thats only on 2 or 3 cylinders, then randomly another comes in because it will shoot up to 2500 rpms and then come back down after a few seconds. If you really rev it up, around 9k or so, it sounds great and hits all cylinders. I have the carbs synced by eye and I'm waiting on the Motion Pro carb sync tool, but I'm afraid to hook it up because I am afraid it will suck the fluid into the engine if it revs too high. I have all the float heights set but its possible one could be sticking. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next

Comment

Sounds like the pilots still have junk in them if the carbs aren't firing right below 3k. Below 3k is stricktly pilots, above that its a combo of the mains then eventually just the mains alone. I'd start there with recleaning the pilots and its supporting passageways.
                            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                            X