Chain cleaning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain cleaning

Hi Everyone,

just wondering what i should with regards to chain cleaning.

I was going to clean my chain today and local dealer said DO NOT USE KEROSENE!!!!!.....come and buy this stuff at our shop for cleaning your chain.

Another dealer whom i favour with his honesty and advice said otherwise and that i can use kero.

The chain is still my first oem chain on my 2006 gsx750f

What do i do ...use kero or buy the special cleaning fluid?

I bought the chain cleaning crap and a chain cleaning brush from the stealership, but look at this thread, it may help......
    KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

and this

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
    Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
    Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I use karosine oil and some rags.

Comment

+1 I also use kerosene on my K6 750 Kat. 16K miles, no problems. Use a good oil or wax after you finish cleaning the chain - I generally go 1500-2000 miles before cleaning with the kero, but every 300 or so miles hit it with chain oil.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

What is the difference between Kerosene and Karosine?

Comment

I think he mis-spelled it.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Well in the post '98 manual it also spells it Kerosine. Maybe it's a foreign thing?

Just looked it up in the pre '98 Haynes manual and they spell it Kerosene.

weird...
              Last edited by ATOMonkey; 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                What is the difference between Kerosene and Karosine?
                Depends on whether it's King's English, American English, or Chinglish.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Your owners manual says to use kerosene. I've used it on every chain i've owned and it works great. I average around 30k on each chain.
                  I personally prefer 80W90 oil to any chain wax out there. The wax holds dirt and grit in the chain while oil just flings off when it gets overloaded with crud. I live on a dirt road so this is a must for me.
                  The guy at the dealership is going to tell you different cause he wants you to give him your money.
                  2005 Aprilia RST1000
                  2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
                  1998 Chevy Tahoe
                  www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Working...
                  X