X

New Katana NO power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Katana NO power

Well I wouldn't say no power, I got an 06 600 today and it fired up fine when I picked it up but I trailered it 2 hours back to my place and now it seems like the battery is dead. Bike has only 400 miles on it. Any suggestions? This is my first bike.

Charge the battery.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seabass10369 View Post
      Charge the battery.
      can I jump it like a car

Comment

yeah, but i would suggest even after running it to pull the battery and put it on a slow charger.
        sigpic

Comment

im pretty sure your car needs to be turned off when you are jump starting a bike. (feel free to correct me if im wrong)

Comment

Did you turn the key past lock to the park position? This would have left the tail light on, causing a drain on the battery. Just a thought.......
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

i am pretty sure you can have the car running if you need to jump start a bike (i use a jump pack).
              )

Comment

check and see on the right handlebar there a red button thats cut off the motor maybe you switch it off
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

"seems like its dead"

either its dead or its not. do the headlights work? turn signals? to start the kat in gear the sidestand has to be up. make sure shes in nuetral, kill switch and ignition switch on and clutch in.

Comment

thanks, I tried charging it with my car off and then let my car run for a few seconds, it did fire up one time for about 20 secs then died, the bike has been in storage for a long time (2006) and hasn't been rode much (400 miles), think I need a new battery?

FYI I will have power for a few seconds then I can hear it die when im cranking it
                    Last edited by bgraff1lsu; 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

well if its the original battery and hasn't been sitting on a charger for the last two years, yea it could be dead. i dont know about bad, but you might wanna looking into buying a new one. it would be the easiest way of finding out if its the battery or not. or you could just duct tape mod your car battery to your rear seat. now that would look funny
                      Captain of Squad 11

Comment

best thing to do is replace the battery and check the charging system on that thing, 400 miles I doubt anything other than the battery went bad. Even if the charging system is fully functional, a bad battery would still cause it to shut off. As for jumping a bike with with a car, I was always told that car should be off, because it can instantly damage a motorcycle battery. I don't actually know why, but i've been told this by more than one person.

Comment

Originally posted by genericuserid View Post
                          best thing to do is replace the battery and check the charging system on that thing, 400 miles I doubt anything other than the battery went bad. Even if the charging system is fully functional, a bad battery would still cause it to shut off. As for jumping a bike with with a car, I was always told that car should be off, because it can instantly damage a motorcycle battery. I don't actually know why, but i've been told this by more than one person.
                          it'll be because of the rate of charge a car alternator will put out is a lot higher than a motorcycle alternator puts out ...

the higher current will possibly overheat your bike battery ....

just jumpstart the bike off the car battery for now, it should keep running once warm ish from the output off the alternator ...

after that period of time of inactivity i'd expect your battery to be scrap (possibly even dry), i'd recommend a new battery
                          it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

hanks for the input guys/gals, greatly appreciated, I tried starting it again today and ust get the clicking noise from the spark plugs and it sounds weak when attempting to start.

anyone on the board sell batteries for 06 kats? best place to get em?

Comment

I brought the battery to auto zone to check the charge and it read 11.25 , the guy said it should read at least 12.25, I'm getting a new battery soon, That is more than likely the problem I hope

Comment

Working...
                              X